Santo - Rock Creek 2-2-19 Fantastic!

Feb 03 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

My son Baird and I fished Rock Creek yesterday 2-2-19.  We got to the lake around 11:30 to overcast/misty conditions and low 60's temps.  This lake is super fishy looking.

Getting the boat ready, we had a black buck antelope come out from across the spillway and walk about 20 feet past my truck.  It looked at us for about 3 minutes and calmly walk down the dam.  What an animal!  High spiraling horns.  That was awesome.  While getting the boat ready, my son starts casting a red square bill from the dam.  2nd cast, he catches a 3 lb.  I'm starting to think this could be a great day.

We get on the lake and start hitting a few spots and fishing pockets in the flooded timber picking up several fish here and there over the course of the next couple of hours including a 4.32.  The smallest being a shade under 16".  Didn't cull it though.  It was a fatty. Caught them on mostly weighted senkos pitched into the trees and out from the dam on SB's and a citrus 5xd crank bait. 

Around 4 pm we went and anchored close to the trees near the north corner of the dam.  My son pitches a red unweighted senko into the trees.  He thinks he's snagged for the 100th time that day but the snag pulls back.  I see his rod double up and knew he had a toad.   He proceeded to duke it out for a few minutes with the fish trying to get back in the trees.  Once we see it, we both realize this is the biggest bass he has caught by far and it is barley hooked.  We get it in the boat and on the scale and it's a 6.85 lb.  His PB by more than 2 pounds!!

Finished up just before dark.  We were both beat.  Total for the day was 10 fish.  Three biggest were 6.85, 4.32 and 3.0.  Others were all 16-17' fish.  No culls.

Baird spent the ride back to FW bragging to his fishing buddies via texts. What a great day!!

I'll try to attach some pics of the big one.

Feb 03 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Feb 03 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Feb 03 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Feb 03 2019

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Nice fish! Great way to spend some family time!

Congrats on your son’s PB!

Bob

Feb 04 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That is a great day! Wonderful story and a great photo!

Feb 06 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nice report, Chris. There are few things in this world better than seeing your son catch another PB. Good job!

Feb 06 2019

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report, nice fish but best part is smile on your son's face. 

Feb 07 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for kind words guys. Tight lines!

CH

Feb 09 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Yup, Baird is hooked for life! Great story, photos and report. Thanks!

Feb 12 2019

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Good story, great job Baird! Nice to see the next generation learning to fish. 

Feb 12 2019

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That ought to do it!

Another guy hooked for life.

Welcome to bass fishing, young man.

Apr 12 2019

John Hufstedler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I'm late to the string, but Congratulations Baird!  Great fish.