sun dolphin pro 120

May 20 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

sun dolphin pro 120

Am considering purchasing this boat. Did you that have this boat have any problems with delivery.  It seems that they deliver it to a specific address.  Any problems unloading, etc. ?

May 21 2015

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I would explore the used market.  Folks buy them and they start taking up space and collecting dust.  I bought my bass tender 10.2 in the used market for $400 which included a trolling motor, life jackets, paddle, battery and anchor. You just get more from your money buying in the used market. Plus less invested if you decide you don't like it. My two cents.

May 21 2015

Marty Newman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve, I bought one and love it.  The best price I found on mine was Walmart.com.  They deliver in about 2 weeks time to the store you choose (closest to you).  I picked it up at the store and their warehouse guys helped me get it on my trailer.  Piece of cake.

May 21 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the information.  I called cabelas and they would not let me pick it up at the store.  Where did you get the trailer or can you order that from walmart as well.  I like the raised decks.  Fish out of a pelican 8 foot or aluminum bass boat now.

May 21 2015

Kelly Denham

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I started to mention searching Craigslist for an 11.3 Bass tender as they are very well constructed. I did a quick search and actually found one! http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/5029807008.html

May 21 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I'll check it thanks

May 21 2015

Marty Newman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve, I already had a trailer.  Good quality small trailers are hard to find.  Academy actually has a pretty good one.  I use to have it when I had an Aluminum Job Boat and it worked very well.  I did upgrade the 8" tires to 12" though.

May 22 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Found a good looking trailer for the pro 120 at genesis trailers.

May 22 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

steve c.. i bought the pro 120 and trailer through the Allen Cabelas (since i live close to the store) and had no problems with the delivery right to the store.. but that was a few years ago... i noticed they have them now in BASS PRO SHOPS catalogue and on line... you will love this boat but you will need to make a few modifications, and GET a RUDDER made for it cause it is a night mare to control without it... Dr Bean helped me with mine... email me and ill show you some pictures of my modifications and my rudder    phillipchapin@gmail.com ...  Marty & Zach may be of help also,, they are owners of this boat also..  if you go on line to   sundolphin.com there is a phone number to call and they will give you a phone number of their dealer in Texas,,, i called before i went with Cabelas and i think the guy was in Canton Tx...  Cabelas was closer for me.. good luck and enjoy

May 23 2015

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I recently purchased a McLain trailer from Academy for about $450 and have used it several times with my kayak.  Very stable and I do not notice any type of swaying  and it is 14 ft  

Bill Fetech 

May 23 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

thanksfor the replies. Would like to see our modifications Phillip. 4stevecarpenter16@gmail.com

May 25 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

i emailed you info and pics steve,, hope they help.. if in doubt i know you wont go wrong with this boat

May 26 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

thank you. It did

Jul 19 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I was thinking about looking at one of these boats. I really like to stand and fish. My buster is ok but sitting all day getting hard on my back and knees. Anyone know where one of these boats might be on display I could look at maybe a bass pro or cabelas?

Jul 19 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

i never could find one on display.. its funny because i told sundolphin up north they could have  great business down here with these boats.. my knees and back  got too old for my 10 ft bass buster, so i looked for a long time all over to see one of these,, then by accident i actually saw one in person down the road from my lake fork place.. took one look and was sold..  jay, are you ever around the lake fork area?  steve carpenter just ordered one and drove all the way to michigan to pick his up this past week (hey steve, hope its ok i mentioned that).. there are also quite a few members that have one of these .. what area you live in jay?

Jul 20 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I live in Palmer its like 5 minutes from Ferris triple j ranch. I was looking where I could buy one and believe it showed bass pro and cabelas you could order one also wanna say even thru home depot you could order one? Id just like to see one before ordering one

Jul 20 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

got my Pro 120 yesterday.  Need a trolling motor and a rudder. Looks like a nice boat. Phillip Chapin provided some very good ideas and pictures that will improve the boat quite a bit

Jul 20 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

hey steve glad to hear you back safe and sound.. i guess you have already noticed the minor things that can make this great boat even better... whats your first thoughts on the boat

Jul 20 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originally Posted by Jay Reese

I live in Palmer its like 5 minutes from Ferris triple j ranch. I was looking where I could buy one and believe it showed bass pro and cabelas you could order one also wanna say even thru home depot you could order one? Id just like to see one before ordering one

Jay, look under craigs list in your area and see even if an old one is for sale that you can go look at.. but if your in the market for something like this, you want go wrong.. love mine..  of all the choices that sell this boat, i used cabellas cause i live near one, but my second choice wouuld have been Bass Pro.. cause either place i know i can trust.. but i know that Marty got his at walmart .com and he said he had no problems also

Jul 21 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

It looks very wide for its length. Think it will be very stable. Talked to a welder about making a rudder yesterday

Jul 21 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Steve I currently have a rudder for my buster boat that from what I can tell from pictures of sun dolphin boat would fit it as well. Got it for about $50 I think.

Jul 21 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originally Posted by Steve Carpenter

It looks very wide for its length. Think it will be very stable. Talked to a welder about making a rudder yesterday

Steve it is amazingly stable boat.. im a tall big guy and i feel very comfotable and safe in it.. the rudder not only keeps boat from tail walking but it seems to aid in less side to side wobble .. very stable

Jul 21 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Jay :

Google images of sun dolphin pro 120 boat and you will see many pictures of the boat. Curious what owners think of trolling motor for this boat. I like a foot operated motor, but the deck is pretty short. How does it work for you? Have used hand controls with extension and they work well also.Where did you find the rudder? can't find one on-line. Do have a welder that says he can make one for me based on the pictures I found on-line. Appreciate all yalls comments. Hope I catch a lot of fish out of this boat

Jul 23 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Got rudder at Rockwall marine. Its where I bought my buster boat. About to put buster boat for sale if know anyone interested.

Jul 24 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

keep seeing members speak of buying a rudder,, didnt know they sold rudders,, does anyone have a picture of a factory rudder to post? Jay do you have a pic of yours to share?

Jul 24 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

buster boats used to sell rudders.  Went out of business.  Found a bullnose rudder that attaches to a trolling motor shaft. I have an extra motor and I will place in on the back. Can tilt it up or use it if I want in addition to bow mounted motor. Purchased it on ebay

Jul 24 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

steve, what ever you use as a rudder, make sure it pivots up by itself cause in lakes like timber lake, my rudder is often pivoting up to go over logs or limbs, or into shallow water.. lets us know how trial run goes

Aug 04 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originally Posted by Phillip D. Chapin

steve, what ever you use as a rudder, make sure it pivots up by itself cause in lakes like timber lake, my rudder is often pivoting up to go over logs or limbs, or into shallow water.. lets us know how trial run goes

Hey Steve A.  hows going with the boat?/ what all have you done? and have you had it out yet

Aug 07 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I have installed the trolling motor and have a temporary rudder . Have a welder making one similar to yours. Have been in California visiting by Dad. He lives about 90 miles from Yosemite National Park. Caugh a few trout. Little hot to fish right now, but ready to get started. Thanks for asking

Aug 07 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

het steve,, cant be any hotter than back here,, Whew its hot.. one thing,, make sure the shaft and blade on the rudder he is building is aluminum .. my first iron one was way to heavy to lift out of water from inside the boat so i went aluminum, but kept the iron mount.. good to hear from you

Aug 07 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Phillip:

I am home now. Probably will schedule a trip in the next 2 weeks. Will let you know how it goes. lot hotter here than were Dad lives. It gets hot , but cools downat night. Bad drought out there.

Aug 10 2015

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

aking the boat out to stillhouse hollow lake and try it out tomorrow.