Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36207
Property Name : Timber Lake
Reservation Date : 05/05/2023 PM - 05/06/2023 AM
Total Fish/Sizes : 20 total - 6 being culls
Lures Used : weightless TR craws and chatterbaits

My son is about to turn 7 and has really grown into wanting to fish and camp – you don’t have to ask me twice when the prospect of camping and fishing is an option! So we decided we’d brave the early hot days and spend a half day and next morning out at Timber. This is the first time out there for me and certainly won’t be the last.

We were mostly focused on slowing down, relaxing, camping, and doing a LITTLE bit of fishing here and there. I’ll be excited to return solo and really hammer the water though. Prospects seem really high! We spent some time wandering around on one of the club provided boats and they’re in great shape! Not a single drop of water except for the splashes of fish! All fish we caught ranged from 12” up to 19” so nothing amazing but still fun because the fish fight hard. With the grass growing from the depths they’re definitely used to coming up fast and retreating even faster so they fought hard for their size. The bigger the fish the skinnier it was, and the smaller the fish the fatter it was. I assume this is part of the cull needs – skinny fish gobbling up the food source whereas the post spawn big fish aren’t getting meals as quickly?

I dropped a screenshot of the lake with a few directions. The blue area was where we caught the most fish. They were sitting shallow so if you threw towards the very edge and painfully, slowly brought the weightless lure of any kind (really) back towards the boat they’d eventually hammer it. Didn’t see or catch anything in the middle of the sections. The red area is where it widens and deepens quite a bit – didn’t take any measurement or temps of any water anywhere but near the biggest trees is where we caught the biggest fish. Slow rolling white/chartreuse chatterbaits is what got us the biggest fish in this area. Three fish all 16”, 17” and the one big 19” fish that fought harder than I expected. In this photo you see that the building is outside of water but for us it was about 16-20” underwater and saw bluegill zooming around everywhere. That entire area near the building structure was a hot bed for bedding fish.

Like the PWF page warns we did hear a couple huge crashes from trees falling over, ha, but we were never anywhere near them and didn’t actually see them fall – just heard the explosion as they cracked and smashed into the ground.

It’s a beautifully manecured property and even with the somewhat long drive back to the water it was no problem at all for my 2WD Jeep Latitude! And the water being littered with huge tall dead trees was a really cool sight to behold. Really excited to eventually visit again to try and fish harder and find some of the big fish that might be lurking around!

As always, thanks to PWF and the landowners for allowing us such cool opportunities to experience serenity!