Great Topwater Bite before the storm at Malouf

May 09 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Malouf has become my “home” lake recently given it’s less thn an hour drive.  I am a sucker for a good topwater bite, so that helps too.

Arrived at 12:30 knowing I only had a few hours to fish.  Cloudy, 81 degrees and almost zero wind.  Water was glass so went to the left corner of the lake on foot and caught a nice 2lber on a frog to start.  Hopped in the boat a landed another couple on the frog on the west side before going down to the SE corner.  Grass is settling, but I’d say 1/4th of the lake is really tough to fish, especially the South end.  The lake is low, so much of the bank is also super shallow with heavy grass.  Caught 8 on the topwater plug along the East side, most onb the outside of the grassline.  Had some fun frog blowups as well.

Weather was wacky, as it would rain for a few, clear up, sunshine, then rain again.  Calm, then a little wind.  Finally around 2:30pm the wind roared up with 15mph+ and whitecaps.  Topwater was over, so moved to a 6th Sense Divine Shakey head with dark watermelon worm.  Fished on North end and right away caught 5 fish in about 10 minutes along right near the piping.  Thought I had found the ticket, but bite was non-existent after that.  Anchored in the trees, caught one.  Went back to the pipe, no bites and reeling in the shakey head and the good ole Malouf bass ate 6.5 inches off a 7 inch worm, but missed the hook!

Enjoy this lake as you can always count on a good topwater bite.  Somewhere around 20 total for the day.