May 09 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36230
Property Name : Pecan Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 05/08/2023 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10 Bass; 5 dinks, 2 @ 1.5-2lbs, 3 @ 3-3.5lbs
Lures Used : Paddletail on Flashy Swimmer, Wacky Rig, Popper, Buzzbait, Crankbait

I started fishing around 12:30pm and quit around 8pm.  Temp was low 80’s with 5-10mph winds with some periods of calm at sunset.  Water was stained green with about 24 inch visibility and 77-80 degrees throughout the afternoon.  The lake was as full as I’ve ever seen it.  The bites were few and far between.  I lost an additional 3 dink sized fish on the early release program.  The bigger fish were caught on the Flashy Swimmer with a 4.8in Rage Swimmer (electric shad, green pumpkin w/ some orange and chartreuse marker).  3 of the 4 bigger fish were all caught around the flooded trees on the west side that stick out like a choke point next to the marked brushpile PVC.  This included the last fish of the day on a popper which was fun as I had seen it blow up and went over and gave it something else to blow up on.  The other 3lber came between the ramp and the dock.  I caught several of the dinks on a wacky rig around the dock.  Nothing along the dam or the East side shoreline although I worked it thoroughly with a spinnerbait to start as the cloudy breezy conditions early afternoon seemed perfect for that presentation.  The buzzbait fish was a dink caught way down at the south end which had enough water in it to get back there, but didn’t see any fish on the graph back there so didn’t spend much time.  Other lures tried w/o any success: spinnerbaits, Tx rig creature, chatterbait, swim jig, popping frog, drop shot, and Chappo.  Also saw and heard many of the big carp making noise, splashing, and swimming around like sharks w/ their dorsal fins and tails exposed and some “mystery” fish splashing the top (maybe catfish?).  The boat is in great condition, and the setting is ideal.  Great day to be on the water.