Keith Stagg

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36551
Property Name : K Bar Ranch
Reservation Date : 06/03/2023 All Day - 06/03/2023 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 67/average size was approximately 1 pound or smaller
Lures Used : 8' diving crank bait was about all they'd hit

We had two members, Keith Stagg and Dale Stagg who fished K-Bar Ranch located in Dickinson, TX on 6/3/23. The weather was clear with blue bird skies but very windy. We immediately started catching fish which continued throughout the day. We both fished the entire lake but caught most fish on the west and north side. This property was fun to fish and like the PWF site stated the fish were small to say the least. Almost all fish were small with a few decent fish mixed in. The lake we fished was beautiful and had clean water with about 3-5 feet of visibility. I believe the price of $95 is quite steep for the fish caught. Keeping every fish of 14“ or less is daunting when it comes time to clean them. I would like to thank the owner for allowing access to this property.

Most fish were caught along the edge of the bank as it drops off to 17 to 25 feet. As I stated before no large bass were caught, and most were under the 14” (cull size) which resulted in bringing home 55 bass. There was 12 bass that were returned for another day. I know there must be some larger bass but catching 67 bass with the largest being approximately 3 pounds with the average weight being under one-pound shows that a good management program is sorely needed in order to make this an adequate location. One would think larger bass should have been caught. 

Most fish were caught on weighted baby bass colored crank bait running approximately 8 feet deep although just a few were caught on Texas rigged worms and a couple on wacky rigs.

It was a fun day of fishing despite the puny size of fish. Member Dale Stagg pedaled throughout a good portion of the lake to map the contours for future fishing and could see lots of contour changes. There is quite a bit of underwater structure in some locations where bass should hold to.

In conclusion, this property is in dire need of lake management but does make for a fun day of catching but, again, would like to see a better  population of larger size bass.

Jun 08 2023

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

As Keith stated, I did some contour mapping of Raymond Lake and a copy of basic contours is attached for others to use if needed. I caught most of my fish near the dock by the house overlooking the lake. They were mostly at the deep ledge in about 8-12 foot of water. I was able to watch my 8 foot diving crank bait and watch fish follow it and sometimes grab the bait. They would sometimes follow it and stop, so I could stop cranking and pop it a couple of times and that was enough to see them attack the bait by doing that. It was cool watching the bass go for the bait using Live Scope.