Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36581
Property Name : Six O Ranch
Reservation Date : 06/06/2023 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 31LMB up to 3.5lbs
Lures Used : Popper, Senko, Shakey head, Fluke, Chatterbait

Had only fished Six-0 once last March and boy was it windy.  I’ve been looking for a good, calm day and today was it.  68 degrees when i hit the water at 6:30am, calm wind to the point where some of the water was glass.  Visibility was 6-7 feet.

Last time I fished the E, NE and NW corners and never really made it to the other end, so decided to head that way. I was rewarded for that decision with a nice 2lber on the third cast.  Steadily worked the E side of the lake (left of dock) heading towards the S corner. Casted up near shore and then along the visible weedline. Got 5 within the first 20 minutes.  

Started along the S bank and had a pretty subtle topwater hit that I thought was a short.  All of a sudden a massive head comes flying out of the water and I knew it was a bigun. The problem was I could see there was only one back treble in the fish.  I tried to horse it in knowing it was barely hooked.  Got it to the boat, took a swipe with the net and didn’t have enough tension on the rod so a nice head shake and she was gone. Easily 8-9lbs and given my PB is 6.7lbs, it was a huge step enough. Good learning lesson to keep solid tension on the rod and don’t suck with the net!

Fished the entire edge of the lake with the popper and caught 19. Clouds burnt off, hot sun and topwater bite was off around 10am.  Started fishing the points with rock edges and drop offs.  Had some success with the fluke. Even sight fished a few. Saw a nice 5+lber, tossed at it, fish chased, but wouldn’t ya know a dink beat it to it!  Had a good laugh on that one.

Caught a few more spread out on weightless Senko and Shakeyhead with 6th Sense Divine worm.

So, net net, really good day that could’ve been epic.  I think I read Steve mention they were trying to cull 1500-2000 dinks this year and that’s def a great plan.  Saw multiple 15-20 fish schools of shorts and culling them out will really help the overall population.  That being said, if you have a young one that wants to catch a good amount of fish, you can throw a fluke or senko all day on the edges and catch plenty.

I’ll be back to chase down that big one soon.

Jun 30 2023

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the great report, Ryan. A great day for sure. Now to go back n get “the one that got away.” I know the feeling…