Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36723
Property Name : Bremmond
Reservation Date : 06/17/2023 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25; 1.5 to 4 lbs
Lures Used : rattle trap, frog/topwater, wacky worm, spinnerbait

Once again had a great morning at Bremmond.  The heat was tolerable with overcast skies and light breeze.  We fished from 6:30am to 11:30am, and caught 25 bass up to 4 lbs, with 3 culls.  Didn’t have much luck with topwater/frogs or wacky worms.  But they liked the spinnerbaits in the timber, and the rattletrap in the open water between the trees and the launch.  Not much luck along the side of the lake opposite from the launch or the dam.  

Now, about the Dragonfly Olympics:  As usual in the summer, there were hundreds of dragonflies flying along and skimming the water surface.  But here’s something I’ve never seen while bass fishing:  From mid-morning on, we saw at least 30 bass all over the lake, of all different sizes, make enormous jumps to catch the dragonflies.  We both agreed that some of the fish jumped at least 4 foot out of the water, and some jumped at least 6 foot in length, to get themselves a little flying morsel.  Sometimes we were lucky enough to be in casting distance, and we could usually throw whatever we had at the olympic jumper “landing”, and make a catch.  We tried “matching the hatch”, but didn’t have anything that resembled a dragonfly in our tackle box, so we were content to just enjoy the jumping competition.  It was fun just seeing nature in action, and encountering something we’d never seen before.

Jun 19 2023

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I fished a tournement on Lake O The Pines in the early 80s. Dragonflies were very active and provided a key to the winning pattern. We also saw fish exploding on the surface, feeding on them. A dark colored buzzbait must have been close enough in appearance to dupe the bass. Both of the top weights were produced using Lunker Lures.

Jun 19 2023

Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Pybus

I fished a tournement on Lake O The Pines in the early 80s. Dragonflies were very active and provided a key to the winning pattern. We also saw fish exploding on the surface, feeding on them. A dark colored buzzbait must have been close enough in appearance to dupe the bass. Both of the top weights were produced using Lunker Lures.

Dale,

Thanks for the insight, and that makes a lot of sense.  I didn’t have one with me at the time, but next time I’ll be sure to take a dark buzzbait with me to Bremmond, or any property in the summer for that matter.  What made the experience at Bremmond so very extraordinary was the fish jumping so high to catch dragonflies in the air.  I’m sure they would have “jumped” at the chance to have something buzzing on top of the water.