Raymond McKinney

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36708
Property Name : Six O Ranch
Reservation Date : 06/24/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 36
Lures Used : wake bait, fluke, tx rig worm

Got there very early as i knew it was going to be a hot one and likely a short day. i was right. Started out just drifiting north from the dock as the breeze was light form teh south. Since the lake is full, there is an area between the weed line and the shore and i threw a wake bait in there as it also comes thru the duck weed very well. they killed it! That is usually a viscous strike, and it was fun. got to the timber and could not get bit, on anything. continued around the timber north and got bit some in that space between the duck weed and the shore again. Sun got up and I switched to plastics, and went across the lake to the tank dam cove. Did well in there too, and fished out to the main lake point. The bite slowed and so i went back to the dock and retied one of my texas rigs and restrung a rod. i had one of those backlashes that you have to cut out on my fluke rod. go figure. 

Anyway, went back out about 11 to the west shoreline between the dam and first cove. Wind howling by then and my anchor dragging some so i didnt get setup exactly where i wanted, but close enough. 2nd cast, landed a 10# 8 oz, 25.5” giant. She was bigger than my net AND my check it stick. and i had my bigger check it stick thats 25” with me and her tail hung over it. i sat there and shook for minute, then quickly weighed her and measured her, and took as many quick pics as i could as i was worried about the fish. It was real hot and as you know with big fish, they give you all they got (and she surely did) while they are in the water then give up when they get to boat. I was by myself and could not bear the thought of hurting that fish and she never moved once in the boat. so I didnt take the time to figure out how to setup and take a selfie with a timer, which i shouldve done i guess. But it wouldve taken me several more minutes and I just thought she had been out of the water long enough already. 

i plunged her back in the water head first to get water back thru her gills first, and it worked, she swam off for someone else to catch. It was an epic day. i cleaned 22 fish and had a ball, but was done by 1 when i saw on my phone it was like 102. i cleaned up the boat and the area really well as i am sooooooooo grateful to this ranch owner and PWF for providing this magnificent ranch and fishery for me to enjoy, and i always want to leave it better than i found it. i did forget to post on the clipboard in the shed. sorry about that. 

i had personal reasons to be there yesterday and i needed the day. it was truly an epic day, and I got to put a check mark in that box! got r dun. thank you again.

Jun 25 2023

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Raymond,

Congratulations on a great catch and glad you had a wonderful time when you needed it. Lot of big fish in that lake

Jun 26 2023

Jon Lewis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Raymond, good report…thanks for taking the time for all the info. Glad you caught the monster and good news it lived to thrill again. The thread that runs through all us fishermen understands all you wrote.

Jun 26 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congrats to you on a new PB!  What a monster!

-David

Jun 26 2023

Charles McCarble

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Please post a few pics!!!