Nice morning on Double A - 5 up to 5 lbs

Sep 11 2023

Matthew Peterson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Had a nice morning with my wife on Double A on Sunday 9/10.  Water temp was 84 with about 6-7 visibility.  A lot of the pesky surface vegetation had cleared up from this spring. 

We got on the water a little later than planned, around 730, and fished for about 4 hours.  We caught 5 ranging from 2-5 lbs, all off of Texas Rig or drop shot.

The bite was a little tougher than we expected but we are still newer to bass fishing and figuring it all out, so some of the challenges were self-inflicted.  If anyone has any words of wisdom or lessons learned, please share them!

I had been here once before with the same experience, and just like the other reports say, the bass were blowing up on shad the majority of the morning.  We tried a ton of different patterns, depths and retrieves with various top water, swim baits, A-rig, swim jig and chatterbaits but the only things that produced were plastics on or off the bottom.

The fish we caught (and blow ups) all seemed to be in about 15-20 feet of water in the open stretch immediately in front of the boat ramp that extends from the cove on the left of the boat ramp all way around to the right to the northeast corner of the lake.

I am just starting to learn my electronics but was amazed to see the amount of fish we marked compared to other waters… really impressive!

Looking back I think we obviously would have benefited from arriving earlier and capitalizing on the topwater and swimbait/shad bite and then focused on the area with hard bottom where it drops off from ~8 to ~30 feet in the east center side of the lake later in the day.

On the west – northwest side of the lake we found more vegetation in 10-15 feet of water but did not mark as many fish (although still quite a few) but couldn’t get any bites there.  If anyone has any words of wisdom or lessons learned please share them!

All in all it was a great, enjoyable morning on this beautiful lake… my wife caught her personal best, we caught a few good fish, learned more about fish and saw a bald eagle! 

Cant wait to get back out there again, thank you PWF and the landowners!

Sep 12 2023

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Congrats to your wife on her PB!  And super cool to see a bald eagle out there.  Double A is a great fishery, but can take some reps to really get dialed in…not sure if you were switching up the sizes on your swimbaits but have heard that small swimbaits have actually been more successful than big ones when they are chasing the shad.  Arriving early could have gotten you some good action too, but who knows. 

Glad you all enjoyed the day and caught some quality, sure you will continue to get better results as you get out more.