Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37249
Property Name : Wildcat Creek
Reservation Date : 09/17/2023 All Day - 09/17/2023 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 20/up to 6lbs
Lures Used : Variety, most success on speed worm, swimjig and squarebill

This was my first time fishing this property, so I don't have anything to compare on personal experience. All in all, though, I'd say it was a good day. 

We had higher expectations for topwater upon arrival, but we only landed 1 frog fish.

It was a grind here and there, but we figured out a slight pattern of most fish cruising a few yards off the bank near drop offs around mid-morning. We put the swimjig and squarebills to work there. As the heat climbed, the action slowed but a few late bites came on soft plastics in the shallow areas.

Most fish fit into that 15-16” range, as mentioned by others. We culled 8 of the 20. Big was 6lbs even.

In the incidents where we pulled grass with our baits, we noticed a strong skunk-like odor on the grass. I'd be interested to hear thoughts about the cause from those who are more informed on aquatic vegetation than me.

Sep 18 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Not sure what type of vegetation it was, but two common species, coontail and chara, often have a garlicy or musky scent to them (with the latter being known as ‘muskgrass’ by some).

Both species and others are ‘allelopathic’ so with a recent rain pulling nutrients into the water, plants will release chemicals to stop other plants from growing from this influx. 

Other algaes and plants can have a smell to them as well such as lyngbya which is simply their natural state. 

Nice fish!

Sep 20 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Hi Stephen,

Congratulations on the 6 lber. Nice fish!

The Grass you are referring to is likely Chara aka Musk Grass. https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/muskgrass/ Its actually one of the more beneficial grasses and one we like. Not as dense Coontail which we see at 50% of our lakes. Chara holds lots of crustaceans, invertabrates and bugs. This is what feeds the bluegill and the bluegill feed the bass. 

Steve

Sep 20 2023

Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Hi Stephen,

Congratulations on the 6 lber. Nice fish!

The Grass you are referring to is likely Chara aka Musk Grass. https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/muskgrass/ Its actually one of the more beneficial grasses and one we like. Not as dense Coontail which we see at 50% of our lakes. Chara holds lots of crustaceans, invertabrates and bugs. This is what feeds the bluegill and the bluegill feed the bass. 

Steve

Thank you both for the clarification on the grass. I was concerned it was some sort of infection, but it sounds like it is natural and not negative to the fishery. I have just never smelled it so strong. 
I like this property a lot, and I think more members should give it a shot.

One suggestion I would make would be a sign marking the boat launch area. Even though the reservation had the map, it was unclear upon arrival if that was indeed where the launch should occur until we got out and walked to the water. It might be more obvious when the water level is different, but it was hard to determine from the vehicle.  Maybe we did not launch in the right spot, but it did work for my 18.5’ boat.