Kids at Post Oak

Oct 11 2023

Daniel Pendarvis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37411
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 10/08/2023 PM - 10/09/2023 AM
Total Fish/Sizes : 12 (2 cull bass, 1 crappie, remainder returns)
Lures Used : Topwater Frogs, Weighted head worms (purple/blue), crappie caught on silver minnow lure

Fished Post Oak evening of Oct 8 and morning of the 9th.  Very slow bite in the evening, could see fish get active around dusk, but just chasing baitfish all along the banks, no interest in our lures (tried topwater.  Only catch that day was a relatively small crappie caught near the dam end on a deep running minnow type lure (silver).

The next morning caught 11 bass with two culls and the rest over size limit. 2 to 3 in the estimated 5 pound range. Topwater frogs were successful well into the morning and then we switched to worms with a weighted jig head.  A long purple worm with curly tail seemed irresistable, but also caught a few on a smaller light blue/white worm.  Also got a few hits on a silver crankbait, but none stuck.  I tried several spinbaits, but did not seem to get any interest.

This seems like a slow visit compared to other reports, but two things were going on:

1. I had a 9 and 5 year old with me, so spent a lot of time untangling rods, etc.
  2. One of my boat batteries seems to be going – any time I engaged the trolling motor, one battery would drop in output from 12v to `~6v and electronics and even the motor would start to shut off – so, I think it needs to be replaced.  So, I also spent a fair amount of time trying to figure that out.

We stayed at the cabin, which is fairly nice.  One mishap – the cooktop would not work.. The owner was very nice and did everything he could to make it right – I would expect it will be fixed in short order.