Beautiful Day at Double A

Oct 13 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Report is from 10/10.  Arrived just before sunrise with 64 degree temps and water at 72 degrees with 6-8 mph wind.  Brought my new Old Town Sportsman 120 as I just got a Garmin put on it and wanted to get a better feel of what Double A looked like.  Forgot how fast the ramp drop off at Double A, so upon pushing kayak off trailer had a nice little swim to start the morning!

Baitfish and bass were popping as I was unloading the kayak but were gone before I got on the water.  Used a spook and buzzbait around the lake and only managed one, albeit a four lber over in the SW corner. Wind kicked up and thank goodness for the spot lock on the kayak or else I would’ve been using an anchor all day.  Thermocline seems to have set in around 20 feet in many areas and bait was holding around 10-15 feet.  Couldn’t get them to hit anything moving (square bill, jig, etc.)  Finally brought out the old standby, spinning reel, light line and a 5 inch weightless Senko in Green Pumpkin/Watermelon.  That was the trick, just worked very slow.  Caught 6 off the weedline/point in the NW corne.  Caught a few more around the lake doing the same thing.  Ended up with 15 total, largest was 4.43lbs, which was plenty fun on light tackle and a spinning reel.

Got to chat with Joe and as always thanked him for his wonderful property and all the work he puts into making it a trophy lake.

Oct 13 2023

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Nice report, thanks.

What model of Garmin did you end up going with and any pros/cons?  I have been thinking about an upgrade that is still kayak friendly and has split screen showing side and down scan.  thanks. 

Oct 13 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mike Nicoloff

Nice report, thanks.

What model of Garmin did you end up going with and any pros/cons?  I have been thinking about an upgrade that is still kayak friendly and has split screen showing side and down scan.  thanks. 

Hi Mike,

I went really basic with the Garmin Vivid 5cv which only has down scan and no side scan.  It’s my first bit of electronics I’ve ever had on a kayak, so I wanted to keep it pretty basic.  My thought was to really be able to read downscan well and then move onto a better model with side scan.

For the price and the clarity you receive on the screen, I think it’s a good unit for sure.

Oct 14 2023

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Ryan Sipe

Hi Mike,

I went really basic with the Garmin Vivid 5cv which only has down scan and no side scan.  It’s my first bit of electronics I’ve ever had on a kayak, so I wanted to keep it pretty basic.  My thought was to really be able to read downscan well and then move onto a better model with side scan.

For the price and the clarity you receive on the screen, I think it’s a good unit for sure.

Got it and thanks for the info Ryan. My current setup is similar to yours and I have a 4” model with 2d sonar and down scan.  I love the down scan for the quarry lakes like AA and Salt Lick and really helps to locate the ledges, structure and bait. Thanks again for the detail.