John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37710
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 11/04/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 41 total; mostly 14-15"; 2 @ 4#; 19 harvested;
Lures Used : dropshot, crankbait, Zara spook

Ron Dupree and I fished Post Oak Lake on a day with variable weather.  At dawn it was cool with thick fog transitioning to hours of bluebird skies and then ended 31 degrees warrmer with partly cloudy skies.  Fishing was fast in the fog along the dam and especially in very shallow water (1 foot) on the flat opposite the ramp.  We quickly caught a dozen with my walk the dog lure doing most of the damage.  Mixed sizes but no trophies. Ron started catching them on a wacky worm in less than a foot of water.  We caught nothing around the stumps or on the flat between the stumps and the bridge.  When the fog burned off (way too soon), fishing slowed down drastically.  We toured the lake for hours trying shorelines and deeper areas and caught a fish here and there with dropshot or a blue and white crankbait but never established a pattern.  Some clouds started rolling in early afternoon and catching sped up a bit with dropshot and crankbaits still the only things working until we left a 3PM. Interesting dichotomy between those two techniques!  We marked two groups of fish on the fishfinder in about 14 feet of water off the dam.  This is the same area Bill Fetech noted in his last report.  Despite repeated attempts with a variety of lures, we never got a bite from these fish.

We ended up landing 41 bass and harvested 19.  The returned bass were mostly 14-15.5 inches long.  We each caught a 4-pounder, Ron on a dropshot and me on a crankbait.

The lake is as low as I have ever seen it.  The base of the spillway concrete is exposed and the two flats on the southern shoreline have less than a foot of water.  There is little vegetation.  Water temp ranged from 59.3 to 61.8 degrees.