John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37781
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 11/12/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 39 total; 14-15" avg; 17.5" big; 14 harvested
Lures Used : stick worm; prop bait; ribbon tail worm; square bill

My trip to Post Oak Lake on 11/12 featured a fast topwater start, a productive morning, and a slow early afternoon.  Conditions were cloudy with a light North breeze, low water, no vegetation, and 62 degree water temp. Between dawn and about 8:30, I enjoyed a fast-paced topwater bite as the bass were chasing minnows on the ulta-shallow flats and against some of the banks. My competition were about a dozen white egrets lunging for the fleeing minnows. Chasing down the moving schools of small bass that were creating the blow-ups wasn’t very productive.  The winning strategy seemed to be to position the boat so that I could cast all over the shallow flat and then target the shoreline when the bass moved through the area. The bass moving as a school tended to be small.  The bigger bass (16-17”) were in the same area but usually a little further offshore.  I ended the brief period landing eight bass using a prop bait and a “walk the dog” stick bait.  I then tried the stump area and caught another three or four using a crankbait and a stick worm.  The only productive technique for the rest of the morning was throwing a lightly weighted stick worm almost to the shoreline and slowly dragging it out.  The bite was very light and a moving line was usually the only indication that a bass had picked up the lure.  The area past the bridge was productive but yielded smaller bass.  At noon, the bite stopped and I had landed 33 bass.  The next 2.5 hours yielded another six bass who fell victim to a Carolina rig fished very very slowly in eight feet of water near the corner of the dam opposite the launch.  Final tally was 14 bass harvested, 25 bass returned and plenty of fun had.