Another Good Day At Post Oak Lake

Nov 19 2023

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37857
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 11/18/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 34 with 13 harvested; typical = 15-16"; bigs = 4.14, 3.99, & 3.68#
Lures Used : Pop-R, stick worm; sqarebill

I had another satisfying outing at Post Oak Lake on the 18th.  While I didn’t catch any really big bass, I had a morning of steady action that kept things interesting.  The early morning bite after sunrise was very weak, only two bass on a Pop-R and the flat near the stumps where I had found early morning bass on each of two previous trips didn’t yield anything other than small swirls under the lure.  Either they weren’t really interested or were small.  The stumps only produced one more bass so I just went to a nondescript area where I had seldom caught fish before and started fan casting.  Although I saw no chasing activity or anything on the fish finder, the bass were there.  I quickly caught four on a Zara Spook, all between 2 and 4 pounds.  That flurry ended and the bulk of the morning was spent pitching a stick worm (color didn’t seem to matter) to the shore and dragging it slowly back.  The bite was very soft and usually manifested as a heaviness on the line when the rod tip was raised.  Most of the returned bass were 15-16” and the culled ones averaged 12”.  The bite died around noon and I finished the last hour and a half cruising the dam where I caught a few more hugging the bank and a couple in deeper water on a shakey head. I landed an aggressive crappie who attacked a 9” ribbon tail worm.  I tried several moving baits but only managed three on a squarebill.  Final tally was 34 landed, 13 harvested, largest three bass were 4.14, 3.99, & 3.68#.

Lake is still very low, almost no vegetation, green water with 18” visibility, 62-65 degrees.