Fine Fall Day at Twin Lakes

Nov 29 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished on 11/28, arrived just after sunrise and couldn’t seem to locate the path down to the lakes as it was covered in frost and not well traveled.  Luckily the landowner was nice enough to have a good convo with me and point it out!

Brought the kayak, on East Lake at 7:45am. 35 degree air temps, water was 49 and eventually warmed to 53 and light wind.  Read previous reports and tried black/blue jig, lipless crank, square bill, senko, chatterbait to no avail for the first 1.5 hours. got a nice 2.5lber on lipless near the middle of the lake by the fence.  The lake level is down, so a lot of the timber areas were 1-3 feet and not holding many fish.  Finally found there was a channel cut thru the middle of the lake, 6-9 feet in depth.  All fish were holding in the 3-6 foot range, so working a chatterbait in that area proved the trick.  Left the lake at 11:45pm, caught 8.  7 on chatterbait, 1 on lipless.  All were 14” or better, with the largest at 3.4lbs.

Fished West lake from 12-2:45pm.  From the launch point going left, the lake is very shallow with almost everything under 5 feet.  The backhalf of the lake i could get to in the kayak, but isn’t too fishable as it’s less than 2 feet.  I was able to pick off some fish in the holes in the weedline on a fluke.  Right of the launch area is deeper and I fished off the weed edge pretty exclusively as that;s where they were holding.  Caught 9 in total, 6 over 14”.  Did have a moment of hilarity when the handle that attaches to the line that pulls up the trolling motor somehow got down in one of my kayak’s scupper holes and became wedged underneath.  Couldn’t get it dislodged so went towards shore, but couldn’t land boat or else i’d bust my trolling motor prop.  So had to jump out in nice 53 degree water waist high, unload the entire kayak, bring closer to shore where I could tip it and remove the handle.  Needless to say, learned my lesson and pay attention to where the handle is!

Another fun property to explore, less than 2 hours from DFW.