Dec 25 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38115
Property Name : Twin Lakes
Reservation Date : 12/23/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 27 LMB up to 6lbs
Lures Used : Crankbaits, T-rigged Creatures, Small Swimbait w/ Underspin, Finesse Jig

Twas the Saturday before Christmas, and it started off foggy.  No matter said I, I won’t get soggy...(in rain gear).  Enough of that, but what a great day to be out fishing.  Started right at sunrise (if you could call it that w/ the fog and cloud cover) to upper 50’s getting into mid-60’s thoughout the day.  The wind started out calm and then got to 5-10mph as the day wore on.  I fished East Lake exclusively, and the lake is just about full.  The water was dark green stained with maybe 12” of visibility and was 54 degrees.  Like others suggested I went black/blue or bright colors almost exclusively.  The morning started off slow with only a couple of fish in the first 1.5 hours or so until I found what they wanted.  I found a good concentration of fish along the side of the lake with the boat launch just past the opening of the cove.  I anchored there and spent probably 2 hours catching a number of good fish on a Jabber Jaw squarebill crankbait in Citrus Shad color as well as a mid-diving 6th Sense crankbait in lime green/chartreuse color.  Got a 6lber early on the squarebill and a 4+ the next fish.  I alternated between the crankbaits and the T-rigged Rage Bug in blue bug color and a NetBaits beaver style creature in hematoma.  I also tried a black/blue chatterbait, drop shot, fluke, and buzzbait with no luck.  Once I played that spot out I took a short lunch break and then moved to the flooded timber in the middle of the lake.  I didn’t find any concentrations of fish on the electronics and no catches.  I moved over to the far side and worked my way around those coves, but did not find any fish.  I started back across the lake and started catching a few on a Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper swimbait in Houdini color on a Gamagatsu underspin.  I eventually made my way back to the spot from the morning and found there was still a good amount of fish in that area so I started throwing the cranks, T-rig, and finesse jig with some effect, but not as consistent as the morning.  As the afternoon wore on I moved on down toward the dam area stopping when I would find a few fish, but not catching many more.  I ended the day catching 2 dinks back to back in the far end near the boat launch area and then called it quits about 4:30.  Ended the day with 27 fish: 1 at 6lb, 5 others over 4lb, a handful over 3lb, and all of them were good fighters with solid bellies.  Thanks to the landowner and PWF who make days like this possible.  Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!

Dec 26 2023

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

That's a very solid solo day David! Thanks for sharing the details and the pics. 

Mark