Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38039
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 12/30/2023 All Day - 12/30/2023 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 40 bass up to 5lb.
Lures Used : Bluegill colored Lipless, Flat side crank baits, crappie jigs

A group of us fished Crockett Hickory Creek on Saturday 12/30.  It was sunny, almost no wind.  Temps were around 30 in the morning but quickly warmed to near 60.  We were in 3 different boats/kayaks so we all went in different directions.  My son and I went to the dam/brush piles early.  We picked up a few over 14 on crank baits.  Since we knew that area was producing and we could always come back to it later, we decided to go check some other spots.  When we got to the flat area near the island we hooked up on 3 fish over 4 lbs and a couple just under 4lbs a matter of minutes by just fan casting a lipless crank bait.  I was surprised to see so many fish in that area since it's not very deep.  I guess the bass were up there to get some sun.  A short time later we hooked up with a 5lb 2oz fish directly across from the dock in seemingly open water.  We hooked another one that was slightly bigger in that same area but it came off as we were trying to land it.  Several hours later, right at the end of the day our guest, Reggie, landed a nice 5lb fish in the same spot.  As a group our best 5 were over 23lbs.  We had 2 over 5lbs, 3 over 4lbs and 3 just under 4lbs.  On the day we had about 40 bass with only 5 culls and 19 crappie throughout the day in similar places as the bass.   I was having trolling motor issues most of the afternoon, if not for that I think I could have found a couple more big fish and put our best 5 over 25lbs.  But it was still an excellent day.  

Another great day at Hickory Creek.  We love this property.  Huge thanks to PWF and the property owner for letting us fish this gem.