David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38208
Property Name : Twin Lakes
Reservation Date : 01/01/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 LMB from dink to 3lbs
Lures Used : Drop Shot, T-Rig beaver

I just had to get out again on Twin Lakes after my last experience there right before Christmas, but I should have known better.  Like the stock market, past performance is not an indicator of future results.  I arrived and started loading the boat just around sunrise, and it was cold outside with a brisk 10-15 mph north wind.  Water temp started at 47 and got up to almost 49 by mid-afternoon, stained with maybe 18” visibility.  I’m over 50 years old and have always had poor circulation in my hands, so I should have known better than to try to fish with wind chills in the 20’s because my hands get cold when it’s 50’s outside.  As a result, I had to make 2 trips back into the truck to thaw them out and thank goodness for heated steering wheels.  When I was fishing in between warm ups, they were not biting anyway.  I didn’t catch my first fish till around 12:30 on a drop shot.  I had a few more bites (all on the drop shot) but they were light and not committed.  I found fish around the dam/boat launch area in the morning but couldn’t get them to respond to anything.  I moved to my honey hole from my last trip (West side just past the cove) but couldn’t get any response there either.  Mid afternoon after moving to the far end of the lake looking for any shallow fish I was drifting back south and “accidentally” caught the best fish of the day (a 3lber) on a Tx-rig NetBaits B-Bug beaver style bait in hematoma color.  I must have hit him on the head as he bit right as the bait reached the bottom.  All the fish I found on my electronics were in deeper water (10-12 feet) and hugging the bottom.  They did not want to move or react to anything no matter how slowly I drug it past them.  I headed back to the dam area to finish up the day and got an unexpected flurry of 3 fish on the drop shot in about 10 minutes right around 5pm.  All fish and bites came on the drop shot using a 4.5” Roboworm except the one T-rig fish. Baits/Techniques that did not produce:  Black/Blue finesse jig wtih a smallie beaver trailer, small swimbait/underspin, Ned rig, C-rig straight tail worm, squarebill crank, medium diving crank, lipless crank, Dark Sleeper.

Bring on the Spring!!!