David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38285
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 01/11/2024 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : Zero
Lures Used : Everything I could think of

Wanted to get out and take advantage of the last day of warm weather before the big winter front blew in.  Got to the lake at noon, and on the water around 12:30.  Fished until around 5:20pm.  Temp was in the low to mid 60’s all day, but very breezy with steady 15mph and gusts over 20 which made finesse fishing very difficult.  As normal for Triple J the water was turbid with maybe 8” of visibility and was 47 degrees pretty much all afternoon.  As the fish count would indicate it was slower than slow with only 2 “bites” all day.  One came early on a flatside crankbait just fan casting in the middle where I got a single scale back on a hook (probably crappie).  I also had a lite nibble on a drop shot on the north end in the trees.  I found decent concentrations of fish on my electronics in several different areas and would anchor down where I could fish downwind toward them, and then would go to town cycling through my whole arsenal, but no matter what I swam, dragged, dangled, crawled, or hovered through them I got zero interest.  I think I just proved the fishing experts’ advice that when the water is cold, don’t fish in muddy water.  Baits/techniques tried included: Tx rig beaver and trick worm, Carolina rig beaver and worm, Drop Shot, Finesse Jig, Flatside cranks of various types, Squarebill crank, Deep Diving crank, Paddletail swimbait on underspin, Spinnerbaits, Hover rig, Lipless, MiniMax Chatterbait, Neko rig, and Crappie jig.

It was a nice day to be outside and wet a line, but I’m glad most outings are not this tough.  I’m looking forward to taking “revenge” on these fish later this year.