Greg Robinson

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38296
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 01/13/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : around 40 from 12-18"
Lures Used : Junebug and watermelon red craw

Booked an all day trip. Got on the water at 9 and stayed until about 4. Lake is still low, but i did find depths of 15’ water temp was 50-52, vis about 2-3’ and not really any grass. The wind was brutal at times and had its way with me. I started catching fish right away working the dam all of the fish were caught in 3-6’ of water nothing deep and the only thing they wanted were junebug and watermelon craws at times the bite was so light i could barley tell and they would only pick it up for a second so i had to really dial in on watching my line. I worked my way around to the stumps and tied off there for a while and caught quite a few then moved on to the little cove on the other side of the bridge where the catching continued. Many of the fished i culled had eggs in them it seems a bit earlyto me  for that can someone please shed some light on the this for me. Ended up with around 40 fish for the day 23 ended up in the cooler not a bad day on club waters

Jan 14 2024

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Fish start will generally start egging up right after ‘fall feed’ which is part of the purpose of the feed – to gain the nutrients necessary to produce eggs (and some larger fish will hold some eggs year round depending on the water temps).   I just had a die off of 3-4” bass fingerlings (no food) from a late spawn (nothing major, just didn’t get big enough quickly enough before it got cold and the insects went away to transition to small fish).  Generally speaking, from now till mid March is probably the best time to catch whatever the biggest fish on a given body of water might be as the move into prespawn and the days start getting longer.   Ott Dafoe is infamous for seeking out days like the next few where there will be sleet and freezing rain to seek out large fish that move up shallow to feed on larger prey that are inactive and don’t move much. 

Jan 14 2024

Greg Robinson

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Fish start will generally start egging up right after ‘fall feed’ which is part of the purpose of the feed – to gain the nutrients necessary to produce eggs (and some larger fish will hold some eggs year round depending on the water temps).   I just had a die off of 3-4” bass fingerlings (no food) from a late spawn (nothing major, just didn’t get big enough quickly enough before it got cold and the insects went away to transition to small fish).  Generally speaking, from now till mid March is probably the best time to catch whatever the biggest fish on a given body of water might be as the move into prespawn and the days start getting longer.   Ott Dafoe is infamous for seeking out days like the next few where there will be sleet and freezing rain to seek out large fish that move up shallow to feed on larger prey that are inactive and don’t move much. 

This is fantastic info!!! Thank you so much🙏

Jan 15 2024

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Knowledge dump!  Thanks brother.

Hope to get out with you this Spring sometime.

Steve Scanlon