A Deluge, Fog, Rock To Windshield; Finally Some Bass!

Jan 27 2024

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38359
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 01/26/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 20 with 3 harvested; most 15-17"; 1 @ 20 3/8"
Lures Used : chatterbait, flat-sided crankbait; black craw

Post Oak Lake is full again with over 7 inches of rain over 2 ½ days.  In fact it is draining over the spillway.  It’s been quite a while and very welcome. For those familiar with this beautiful property, every one of the stumps is fully submerged.  Water temp 51-52 and not very muddy.

I drove and arrived in a fairly thick fog and quickly loaded the boat and started fishing along the dam.  Nothing.  Along the far bank.  Nothing.  I finally caught a couple around the submerged stumps and then picked up one now and then as I toured various spots around the lake.  No location yielded more than two bass and a chatterbait (original cheap version) and a Fritside 7 accounted for all seven bass I landed prior to noon. The largest bass of the day (20 3/8” 4.72#) fell to a yellow chatterbait with pumpkin green trailer near the bridge.  After a slow period, the bite started again but the only lure that worked for me through the next couple of hours was a black craw fished with a light weight and thrown toward the bank and drug slowly toward deeper water.  Every bass came from 3-5 feet of water.  The afternoon fish tended to be larger than the morning fish and I ended the day early (more rain) with 20 bass, only 3 harvested, and five over 18”. Quite good for January!

About the windshield; I just love getting a gift from a passing semi, don’t you?

Jan 28 2024

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thank you for the report. Sorry about the windsheild

Jan 31 2024

John Egan

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I visited in December and the water level was the lowest I have ever seen it. Nice to hear it has recovered. Plan to get back there soon.