David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38591
Property Name : Malouf Lake
Reservation Date : 02/21/2024 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 18 from dink to 2.5lbs
Lures Used : Z-Man Compact Spinnerbait

I fished from around 12:45pm to 4:40pm, but the main purpose of my trip was to get my new Pelican Bass Raider 10e on the water for the first time.  I picked a real “trial by fire” day for it as the wind was whipping all afternoon and the lake was constant white caps.  This was a day that I normally wouldn’t even have gone out on a Jon boat, but it’s a testament to the stability of these small pontoon style boats that the Raider provided a more than stable platform even in those conditions.  This isn’t a commercial, but if it can stand up to yesterday’s conditions and be managable then I am thrilled about how it will be fishing with milder conditions.  Speaking of conditions: Temps in high 70s to low 80s, strong gusty winds, water stained to muddy and upper 50’s temp with maybe 2’ visibility in the clearer areas.  I tried a squarebill and chatterbait early, but realized quickly that I needed to try to get out of the open water, so I made my way to the pockets on the East side across from the ramp and started throwing a shad colored, double willow Z-Man Slingbladz spinnerbait with a pearl with black flake grub trailer. I got my first couple of fish on that throwing around the shallows where I was a little protected from the wind, and I stuck w/ that pattern the rest of the day.  I caught at least 1 fish in just about all of those pockets where I stopped as I made my way down the East side, then the South end near the fence yeilded a few, then I worked the West side with the same results picking off a couple or 3 from the likely spots.  I caught nothing in the standing timber on the West side, but I caught 4 (including 3 in a row) off the laydown trees on the West bank just South of the ramp.  I thought about crossing back to the East again and making another lap, but it was already past 4pm and I was happy with 18 fish and a successful maiden voyage in the Raider.  Fun day all around.  Thanks PWF and landowner!

Feb 22 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the successful first maiden voyage on the new rig. Perfect for these smaller waters. In one of your pics, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that anchor mount

Feb 23 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Freeman

Congrats on the successful first maiden voyage on the new rig. Perfect for these smaller waters. In one of your pics, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that anchor mount

I bought the rig used (barely), and a bunch of equipment and accessories came with it including that anchor mount.  It’s a Scotty Anchor Lock mounted on a Scotty Clamp Mount.  Both are readily available online, and it worked like a champ.

Feb 23 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By David Felton

I bought the rig used (barely), and a bunch of equipment and accessories came with it including that anchor mount.  It’s a Scotty Anchor Lock mounted on a Scotty Clamp Mount.  Both are readily available online, and it worked like a champ.

Thanks David!