Feb 25 2024

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38634
Property Name : Nix Ranch: Lake TCU
Reservation Date : 02/22/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 8 fish 12-17"
Lures Used : square bill, rattletrap, chatter bait, worm, paddletail, WhopperPlopper

I fished the Nix Ranch pond from the bank, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm, under bluebird skies with a steady 10-15 mph west wind. The water was greenish with a visibility of about 2-3 feet by disk off the dock. The eastern bank was chocolate milk from the bank to about 20 feet out due to the wave action. I did not have a thermometer. The pond is full again with several areas of boat launch access. There is no surface vegetation and minimal “slimy algae” on bottom lure retrieves. 

I caught 8 fish, all on a squarebill or small Rattletrap, 12-17 inches, all fat and healthy looking. No bite on top water (WhopperPlopper only) , soft plastics of any type, or a jerk bait, jig, chatterbait or spinner bait. I did not throw any large lures. 

Fish were taken from each bank, usually within 20-20 feet of the bank. The three humps were all productive as was the area just out from the old dock on the north bank.

Dub was his usual self and seems to be doing well. He told me that the road was going to be greatly expanded but that he did not intend to sell the property any time soon in spite of skyrocketing property values. I certainly hope so.