This is a February to remember

Feb 25 2024

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Arrived around 9:30 to 10:00. The lake is full and going over the spillway . The water is off color but not the east Texas tannin tint.  Flipped the boat and the fire ants decided to make a hill on the inside and outside of the hull.  Lucky for me from past trips always keep a can of raid in the truck. Sprayed them and launched the boat. We went south (west side) towards the dam and the bite was on and I mean on. Fished the length of the dam and the bite did not stop. Then moved up east side the bite was still on. So for maybe 200 yards and 6 to 10’ from the bank the bite was unbelievable. We went for a boat ride to the north end and no bites plus nothing in the middle either.  We only had a 15 minute stretch without a fish. Most in the 14” range, a dozen maybe in 2 to 3 lb range and 4 that we weighed in the 4 to 5 lb range.  My grandson lost or stopped counting at 40 bass.  The best baits were fluke in watermelon red, swimbait 3 “ on a 1/8 jig head in baby bass.  A few on chatter baits a couple on a white ribbit. Just a lot of fun. When we left and turned over the boat I propped the boat up on a log to keep the hull off the ground. Last year almost to the day we only caught 7 but they were monsters. Didn't  get that 6 to 8 pounders  today but a lot more fun with the grandson.  Get out there soon before the bass decide to go on their yearly honeymoon. Thanks for reading and thank you PWF and the owner for a great memory today.

Feb 25 2024

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

What a great trip!! And nice tip on packing a can of Raid. I have stumbled on a few ant mounds in the past and never thought about bringing some bug juice along.