Solid day at Tara

Feb 28 2024

Travis Franklin (Flower Mound)

Fry

Number of Posts :

Lures that caught fish: Chart/white spinnerbait*, chart/white chatter bait, black and blue chatter bait, red/black chatterbait, TX rig brush hawg in watermelon red,

Lures that did not catch fish: Senko (green pumpkin/red), wacky rig senko, rattle trap (orange), red shad worm Tx Rig. Spinner bait*

*I tied on the spinner bait, and threw it over the side while I was looking for a trailer. A fish jumped on it while it was dangling just under the water. Started casting it and never got a bite.

Fish caught: about 25 up to 5.5 lbs 

Weather: mostly overcast, temp was 60-65, close to 80 by quitting time. Winds about 15-20 out of the south. Guessing surface temp of water was high 50s possibly low 60s in the flats. But that’s an educated guess.

Fished with fellow PWF member Mark Borge. We launched about 7:30 and started towards the dam, which is the west end of the lake. We stopped at the first marked brush pile closest to the north shore and the boat ramp. On the second cast caught a 5 pounder on a red and black chatterbait. From there we went on up to the next brush pile, then the dam and started on the north west end, working our way from there in a counter clockwise loop around the lake. We made about three laps between 7:30 until about 3 with a 20 minute lunch break. We caught fish scattered on the entire lake except the north shore (excepting that marked brush piles always produce) I don’t believe we’ve ever caught a fish in the creek on the far east end or on the northeast corner (or out in the middle). But even on the shallowest south east flats (1.5 feet of water) we caught nice fish. Presentation was bumping along bottom in the morning, moving a little faster in the afternoon. It was slow, but fairly steady and the fish are clearly on the beds, strong and healthy. The majority came on a black and blue chatterbait with a black/blue craw trailer fished slowly.