Mar 09 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38829
Property Name : Northeast Lake
Reservation Date : 03/08/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 63 from dink to 4lb
Lures Used : Spinnerbait, Weightless Yamatanuki, Underspin, Tx Rig Craw, Paddle tail on a jig head, Wacky Rig stick bait

Fellow member Mark Daugherty and I braved the thunderstorms and volitile conditions to put together a really fun day at Northeast Lake.  We delayed our start by an hour because the chance of storms lessened through the morning, but we drove through heavy rains all the way to Athens and as we were loading the boat, the storm front hit at the lake with torrential rain and gusting winds.  We bank fished thought it anyway and landed a few small ones while letting the storm blow through.  Once it let up, we drained the boat of about 6 inches of water in the back and made sure the plug was going to hold and then headed out.  Water was murky with viz between 2.5 feet to 12 inches at various areas and fluctuated from 65-70 degrees.  Weather was warm upper 60s to mid-70s and mostly cloudy with a few periods of sunshine and mostly light breezes. The morning was dominated by my shad colored Z-Man double willow spinnerbait as we found tons of small ones in the shallows.  The afternoon was dominated by a weightless Yamatanuki in green pumpkin colors worked along the bank pretty aggressively.  Most of the bigger fish of the day came on that technique.  We landed over 60 and most of them were 10-13 inches with 6 above 2lbs, 1 above 3lbs, and 1 at 4lbs. We missed a ton more to either short strikes or shaking off at the boat, so we could have been close to triple digits with a better landing percentage.  All fish were caught up in the shallows or along the dam within 20 feet of the bank with nothing out in the middle. Baits tried that didn’t work: squarebills, chatterbaits, lipless.  Sometimes you just need a good numbers day with good steady action regardless of fish size.  That’s what we got and it was a fun, memorable day.

Mar 09 2024

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Hi David, 

Thanks for the report. That is a lot of bass! Were you able to harvest any or all of the 60 smaller bass?

Mar 09 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Hi David, 

Thanks for the report. That is a lot of bass! Were you able to harvest any or all of the 60 smaller bass?

Hi Steve, we certainly would have, but the lake description and the reservation confirmation says nothing about any harvesting going on, so we followed suit and returned all the fish.  I definitely think some harvesting would be a good idea.

Mar 10 2024

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By David Felton

Hi Steve, we certainly would have, but the lake description and the reservation confirmation says nothing about any harvesting going on, so we followed suit and returned all the fish.  I definitely think some harvesting would be a good idea.

Great report!  Days like this are so enjoyable – and I agree, sometimes quantity is a blast!

Mar 10 2024

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

We fished it yesterday and it was fun and definitely quantity or quality.  I would rather catch a lot of fish vs. a few with chance for a big one.  I'm the member  who just likes to fish. No fancy gear, no electronic just me my pole and a few plastics.  Easy lake to fish from boat or bank. Great place to take the kids, just bring some rubber boots. Spring break is here get out and get the kids hooked. I think it is nice to have some lakes that the kids can go and learn to bass fish and catch fish.