Tale of Two Lakes

Mar 20 2024

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished Twin Lakes in Ben Wheeler yesterday.  Arrived at sunrise to fog/heat coming off the water as there was frost on the ground and air temps at 34 degrees.  Water temp was 60 when I launched the kayak on East Lake with light winds all day between 5-7mph.  Stained water with visibility of less than a foot.

Within the first five minutes, I caught two on back to back casts off the log near the boat launch with whacky rigged Senko (watermelon with red flakes).  Worked the lake counter clockwise picking off fish here and there all in 2-5 feet of water.  Theres plenty of moss/grass along the banks already so just a heads up.  Tried swimbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbait, jig with zero luck.  Eventually settled on going back and forth between whacky rig and fluke thrown up in the junk and fished in the holes.  Had a 5lber+ jump off near the tree on the opposite end of the lake.

Moved to the tree line/suspended fence and caught two in a row on whacky rig.  Threw a few more casts and bam a drag screamer took off. I was fishy the whacky rig on light equipment with 10lb fluoro so had to play this fish out.  Four jumps later and a beautiful 6.39lber was netted.  Gorgeous fish tht was super healthy.  Jumped off East Lake at noon with 19 fish caught as I wanted to give West lake a quick run.

Simply put, couldn’t locate them at West Lake.  Only caught 3 in a little less than two hours.  All three were caught on flukes thrown extremely shallow into beds I saw and the bass attacked them right away.  

22 fish for the day and a 6lber kicker was awesome.  Great property, super healthy fish and great fighters.  Only a couple had eggs and a few males with bloody tails, but still another 5-7 days before I think they will be truly in spawn mode.

I tried to upload the pictures, but it’s not letting me right now.  Will try later.