Paul Jarzemsky

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39575
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 04/19/2024 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6; 1/2 lb - 2lb
Lures Used : fly rod with poppers; casting rod with topwater lures

I fished the small lake at Bluebonnet Ridge on Friday afternoon.  The weather was cool and overcast all day, and my barometer said “excellent fishing”.   Before I launched my mini-pontoon boat I rigged up my fly rod and made a practice cast to the edge of the dock and instantly caught a small bass which was a nice begining.  There was never much down time especially toward late afternoon.  The problem was weeds.  There’s a lot of hydrilla, and only about half the lake near the dam is fishable and navigable.  Fishing with only topwater lures and flies, they often snagged on weeds about ½ inch below the surface.  Hydrilla got wrapped around the prop of my trolling motor several times, and pretty much every fish I hooked headed straight for the weed beds.  I lost 2 that way, and saved a couple more that were entangled.  

Bluebonnet Ridge is a beautiful ranch aptly named as the surrounding fields were covered with Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrush.  I had a good time, and would like to go back perhaps earlier in the year when the weeds aren’t so prevalent.