April 30th - A Day to Remember at Blue Rock!

May 01 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39642
Property Name : Blue Rock Lake
Reservation Date : 04/30/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 50LMB from 1lb to 5lb
Lures Used : Buzzbait, Whopper Plopper, Chappo, Swimbait w/ Underspin, Spinnerbait; Swim Jig

This is my favorite lake of the Wills Point lakes as I always seem to have memorable days here.  The weather turned out to be great with temps from mid-60’s to low 80’s.  Wind started calm and then turned breezy mid morning to around steady 10mph the rest of the day.  The lake is up at least 4’ above normal fill level and is hardly recognizable as the rock jetty is 2’ deep underwater and the normal shore line and grass ring  now start about 10-15 feet into the water changing much of the dynamic of the bank and drop offs.  Eric told us that the creek had flooded into the lake recently and that the culvert that drains the lake into the creek has had a “high tide/low tide” depending on how full the creek gets.  Regardless, it was like being at a totally different lake.  Water was clear to about 2-3 feet with a green/brown stain and was between 68-75 degrees throughout the day.

Now the fun part.  I had a buddy join me and we started fishing from the SE bank just after sun-up in cloudy/foggy conditions.  I started w/ a buzzbait and he had an underspin.  Within 10-15 minutes I had the big fish of the day at 5lb 1oz, next fish, 4lb 14oz, then 4lb 8oz!  What a start.  My buddy landed a couple and lost a couple at the bank.  When we finally got my Bass Raider out on the water I kept the buzzbait and my partern switched to a Whopper Plopper.  With the high water all the grass was submerged so we could take full advantage of all the extended shallow shelf around the perimeter.  We kept a steady topwater bite going till just after 10am and a 3 quarter counter clockwise trip around the lake.  Once that died I switched to a spinnerbait and had some success till a break for lunch.  We both went with spinnerbaits after lunch but my buddy could not manage to land any fish...not one even though he was getting steady bites.  Turns out after a break off later I realized the drag was set almost all the way loose, so he wasn’t getting any power to his hook set...made me sick to realize all the decent fish he missed due to us not thinking to check that.  Ultimately he switched to a 3.75” swimbait on an underspin and started slaying them while I kept trying to make the spinnerbait and swim jig produce.  I eventually gave up and switched to the underspin and joined in on the new pattern of the afternoon w/ some quality fish.  For as great as the day was, it could have been Epic as I lost count of how many fish we lost at the boat or when they jumped half way in (maybe 50+).  Had at least 4 break-offs too which was weird as I’ve never had that many line failures in a day ever.  Final count was 2 at 5lb+, 4 at 4lb+, at least 6 at 3lb+ and a total of around 50 landed with 17 culled.

Thanks to Eric and PWF for the awesome lake to get these kind of memorable trips!