Great Day at San Saba

Apr 25 2014

Marty Newman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Rick Drummond and I fished San Saba yesterday.  His first time and my second, though more than 10 years since my first trip.  Not sure now why I haven’t been back.  We had a great day, one of the best I have had in the club.

Got there late Wed night and stayed in the bunkhouse.  On the lake at first light Thursday with a cloud cover.  Fish were busting the surface all over.  Caught the first fish on a topwater frog from the back of the boat while Rick was untying the bow to launch.  Caught several on topwater, with a PopR being the most productive.  Then the sun came out…..bluebird skies.  Still caught fish working the shore lines right on the edge of the vegetation.  First plastics (RageTail) and later a Spinner Bait was the most productive.  Rick caught a few on a crank bait too.  Towards evening, a PopR was the ticket again.  The day ended like it started…..as Rick was tying up the boat, I threw “one more cast” from the back deck.  A 4.5 lber hit it and flew completely out of the water, somersaulted (think a great white shark breaching to hit a seal on Discovery Channel).  Wow.  Never seen that before.

So, the numbers…...no big fish that we were hoping to win the contest with.  Hard to count exactly, but we caught in the neighborhood of 75 fish between us.  What was great, was that we culled only 10!  The biggest was 21”, about 4.5 lbs.  A very high percentage were between 3 and 4 lbs.  A really great day.

Posted By: Marty Newman

Apr 25 2014

Cory Marver

Fry

Number of Posts :

Glad to hear you had a great day Marty. I thought you would really like it out there. How were the boats?

Apr 25 2014

Rick Drummond

Fry

Number of Posts :

Notice, Marty cheats or maybe he is just crafty but always seems to get the first few and last cast while I am dealing with the boat.  This lake has healthy fish and strong bass for sure.  We had a few break off.  The boat was the best club lake boat I have fished out of yet..sturdy and wide.  Well worth the trip.

Apr 26 2014

Marty Newman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Great boat.  I believe it is 17’ and 50” wide.  Front and back decks with pedestal seats.

Rick, I will take an advantage any way I can get it.

Apr 27 2014

Rick Drummond

Fry

Number of Posts :

You caught some nice ones my friend.  We need about 3 days to fish this lake and pull up some more of those female bass.