Senko De Mayo at Heartland 1010

May 06 2014

Marty Newman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

First, how the heck did a Japanese guy get a Mexican Holiday named after his product?

Fished here with Jackson Bean on Monday 5/5.  Beautiful day, but a little windy, as most of this spring has been.  My first inclination is to say the fishing was “tough”.  But I realize I have become spoiled by our clubs fishing.  When I go to one of the premium sites, like this one, I know my expectations are sky high.  So it’s easy to be disappointed.  Jackson may have more detailed numbers, but we probably caught in the neighborhood of 30 fish between us, and worked at it from first light until about 8 pm.  Jackson caught a nice 5 pounder for the big fish of the day, and one other he caught was just under 4 lbs.  All of my big fish broke off before getting in the boat. (haha).  So, if having a job that allows fishing on Monday, on a beautiful East Texas property, without any other fisherman competing with us, boating a 5 lb fish, and a real chance to catch a 10 plus on any cast….....is a tough day, then that’s what we had yesterday.

Wonder if Gary Yamamoto has considered making a premium tequila yet?

Posted By: Marty Newman

May 06 2014

Jackson Bean

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

What a clever title!  Another fun trip as usual.  Though we didn’t boat the huge fish we were hunting for, Marty and I had a good day.  Marty caught four solid fish pitching a creature bait into heavy timber so he got to check that off of the “to do” list.  The five pounder came the same way and anytime you are wrapped around a few branches in 12 foot of water, that five pounder feels like a monster until she’s at the surface.  It definitely got my heart pumping.  There were some long stretches of no bites and keeping the boat positioned in the wind was difficult at times.  The baits that worked were the usual suspects…..  Watermelon red worms, suspending jerks, Senkos and various craws and creatures pitched into the timber.  There are still visible beds in the shallows but I think it is primarily bream at this point.  We did see a few bucks guarding beds but no females.  The wind made bed fishing a challenge but the fish we focused on were off in deeper water anyway.  There were a few balls of fry but not as many as I would have thought so some spawning is probably still going on.  The water temps started at 69 degrees and got to 76 in the heat of the day.  The water clarity is undergoing some interesting changes right now at Leaky but Tommy and Craig are on top of the issue as usual.  It was another fine day to be outside catching fish and I’ll get back in a month or two to catch my ten pounder.

Tight lines,
Jackson

May 07 2014

Tim Judson

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Nice report. Love the title! What lake did you fish?