Crank baits at Tarpley

Aug 08 2014

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Fished Tarpley on Sept 5 from 2-7 PM and caught 14 all on medium and deep diving crank baits. Cull 7. The rest were in the 2 lb range. Nothing hit any anything soft plastic.  The water level is still good and clarity is 2-3 ft. 

There was no one color that was the best. 

Water temp was about 85 degrees and luckily a nice wind started blowing around 4. 

Bill fetech

Posted By: William Fetech

Aug 08 2014

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Bill I fished tarpley once years ago, the pre Alexander period.  I was throwing a 1/2 ounce white terminator willow blade spinner. I had 25 lb. braid on a bait caster.   I had no more than 4 cranks on the reel when I had a hit and immediate break off.  I went and tied on another of the same spinner and same thing again.  I was fishing right along the dam about mid way.  I figured it must have been a gar but never saw any and wouldn't know how they could ever get into Tarpley.  I saw the grandson of the owner nail two nice bass ( maybe 4 to 6 pounds) right off the dam on a silver rattletrap.  I ended up catching a slew of 14 inch bass on plastics that day.  Never did figure out the mystery of those two strikes.  It was brand new braid.  Great setting and very beautiful lake.  Too far from DFW to make the trip.  Farest from DFW I've gone for a day was a place called Holmes.  I loved fishing Clifton and probably one of my favorites.  But that is all memories now.  

Aug 13 2014

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Robert. Tarpley is less than an hours drive for me. I recently did catch a 7 and 5 lb in the middle where it gets to about 20 ft deep. 

I have always seen very large carp on the surface mid lake and near the dam. 

I have fished some of the DFW properties when my wife traveled to the area.

Unfortunately no trips scheduled in the near future. 

Have you ever fished San Saba?

Bill

Aug 15 2014

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Never fished San Saba.  I maybe Steve's problem member.  I like to just fish mostly for the numbers. I could care less about a double digit bass. I just want to have fun and a little mindless activity.  Lately I've been fishing Six O, Julian and I also take my grandkids to TFFC in athens for trout and catfish.  I fish like the west coast pros.  Use spinning gear and  fish mostly weightless plastics or topwater.  If your ever going to be in the DFW area let me know and we can spend a day on the water.  Six O is a tough winter fish as it is at least 28 feet deep.  Or it was 28 before this dry spell.