A Great Afternoon at Cody Ranch

Sep 04 2014

Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

After launching my Bass Hunter Bass Baby into South Twin, I fished hard from just after noon until 7:30. What a beautiful place! I never made it to the north lake, but I hadn't planned to.

I caught a total of 17 bass, only 3 of which were under 16", and ended up with one over 4 lbs, 2 over 5, and 3 over 6! The biggest weighed 6-06 on the Boga. Four of the others were between 3.5 and 4 lbs.  I missed 2 frog attacks and had 2 more big ones break me off - my own fault for not retying. Duh. These bass are extremely healthy, and fought bigger than their size. The big ones all jumped like Smallmouths. Successful lures this afternoon were T-rigged 7" black/blue flake and 6" black/redflake lizards, green pumpkin/black flake and black/blue flake wacky-rigged Senkos, black/blue jig & split tail eel, and chartreuse shad and sexy shad Rattletraps.  No action on chatterbaits, topwater, deep diving crankbaits, or C-rigged worms.

Payoff patterns were 'Traps retrieved fast parallel to the dollar pad weed line in 7-9 feet of water, and also in 12-17 feet of open water; T-rigged lizards in 3-4 feet  of water in timber, and wacky-rigged Senkos - in both deep and shallow water. Two of the 6-pounders and one of the 5s hit a Senko thrown as a follow-up bait after they missed a Rattletrap. One of the 3.5-pounders had a twin trying to take the Rattlletrap away right at the boat.

Mr Cody drove down, and we talked a little. he's a really nice guy. I had been wondering why so many of the BIG lily pads looked like they had experienced a severe frost. He explained that he had hired a helicopter to spray poison on those pads….seems to me that a landowner who spends that kind of money to control emergent weeds is VERY serious about managing his lakes! I don't know what other lakes got sprayed.

I didn't find either a PB or a DD, but with the number and size I caught, it was a super afternoon in spite of the Oklahoma heat. This is a GREAT little lake,and I'm already looking forward to returning….....and to try some of the other waters on the ranch, as well.

Posted By: Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Sep 05 2014

Kelly Denham

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Your day seems akin to the day I had a week or two back. Mr Cody was very cordial when we spoke and he mentioned the helicopter and the lilly pads. I wasn't sure if it was something he was going to do, should do or something that is possible. Your post clears that up! The lilly pads in the north lake were huge and resembled sunflower plants with their height.

If someone plans to go for the first time, when you drive through the first gate with a cattleguard, you will see a lake off to your right (S/E). This is NOT SOUTH LAKE. Do not follow the trails in the grass off in that direction. I did and after I crossed the big dry creek bed Mr Cody came and got me. He asked where I was wanting to fish and waved a friendly "Follow Me!". Anyway, from the gate, you can't see a barn area for the incline ahead of you. Drive up the hill to the barn area before you turn right to go to South Lake.

Sep 06 2014

Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I forgot to mention that the heaviest fish (6-06) was only 23 inches long. Healthy!