South Twin Does It Again

Sep 11 2014

Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I had the opportunity to fish again yesterday, and since I had experienced such a great day at Cody Ranch last week, I decided to go back again, fish South Twin, and stay at the cabin instead of making a late drive back home last night. The fishing? Well, it wasn't anything like last week. I caught fish, but the patterns were totally different. Yesterday, the fish were holding tight to timber; I caught only 3 in open water and nothing in the pads. Successful lures were a 4" black T-rigged worm; 5" green pumpkin/black flake and black/blue flake wacky-rigged Senkos (a 7-pounder); 12-inch opaque green worms (I had 3 big ones either break me off or wrap me up and get off with 30# mono using these big worms); blue, 16-inch ribbontail worms (one 5+); chartreuse shad Rattletrap; chrome/blue back Rattletrap; and black/blue 5" Biffle Bugs (one 4+). Nothing at all on chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, frogs, topwaters, or deep-divers. The fish were in 3-14 feet of water, but always close to timber. Once again, I forgot to pay attention to the water temperature.

One thing happened that I found rather amusing. I had tied on a 16-inch blue ribbontail worm, and my first cast went over a limb about 8' high before it hit the water. I let it sink, and when I took up slack, I felt something on the worm and set the hook. That broke the limb, but it also pulled a 6-7" dink completely out of the water and over where the limb used to be. The fish hit the water right next to the boat. It wasn't hooked, though. I think its "tongue teeth" got stuck in that thin ribbontail, preventing him from getting off. When I brought in the worm to re-rig it, the little bass was still holding on to the end of the worm, and didn't fall off until it was over my lap - What a tenacious little fella! Its eyes were a LOT bigger than his stomach! (I did catch the 5+ on that same 16" worm.)

Fishing from noon until just after 7:00, I ended up the day with one 4+, one 5+, the 7-00, and 22 others between 14" and 4 pounds. Other than the dink mentioned above, I only caught 3 bass (and one bluegill on a 1/2 oz Rattletrap) under 14". I stopped fishing before dusk due to the strong north wind and lots of electrical activity nearby as the cold front moved through. It's a long way to go for a half-day of fishing, but to me, it's definitely worth it.

The Cabin at Cody Ranch was certainly adequate for my needs, although I did miss not having AC. The ceiling fans were all that enabled me to sleep at all, even with the front door and the window by my bed open.  I did get to the Cabin in time to see how pretty Moonshine Lake is. It's full of both pads and timber, and if there's any deep water in it, I really want to fish it! I can attest to the fact that Steve Cody has a truly beautiful ranch and some big bass - and I've only fished one of them.

Posted By: Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Sep 11 2014

Steve Alexander

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Tom,

28 fish and only 3 dinks, inlcuding a 5 and 7 lb fish is a heck of a day. Getting folks to drive 2 hours north of Dallas has been harder than I ever dreamed. For some reason they thing nothing about drving 2 hours east. Oklhaoma won't bite. I also think the best lake of the group might be Lower Hart Lake. But not sure we have had a single reservation on that lake in 3 months.

Sep 11 2014

Thomas E. (Tom) Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Steve, I hope that more of our members will be willing to travel north once the weather and water cool off. It's one heck of a property, even it it IS in Oklahoma!

Sep 11 2014

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I fished the upper and lower Hart lakes on the group trip in the spring. Both lakes definitely fishy looking. I’m probably gonna get up there again in the fall. Anyone know how thick the grass is on the Hart lakes right now? We caught quite a few fish in both lakes nothing real big but I believe they are there. I fished with I believe his name was Richard and he hung a big fish in upper Hart that he couldn’t do anything with and lost it. Sure they’re are big fish in both lakes

Sep 15 2014

Jason Grant

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I would happily fish these places but a boat isn't provided.