Coalgate Ranch - 10/2-10/3

Oct 03 2014

Mark Levock

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Member Clint Whitlock and I stayed overnight in the lodge 10/2, fished PM at Lower Hart and AM this morning on Upper Hart.

The lodge is perfect for multiple people, lots of open space, couches, beds, Sat TV and AC.  No complaints with the place.  We started to fish Lower Hart around 4pm - We were dodging severe T-storms until about 5:30 and then perfect weather the rest of the night.  We didn't catch any huge fish, but the numbers were good - We probably put 20 in the boat - no havest fish.  This morning we fished Upper Hart.  48 degrees to start fishing, water was 70, warming up to 73.  Fishing was slow with the post front, but we still managed to catch 12 or so - no harvest.  The biggest of the day was approx. 6 pounds by me.  I was dragging a white tiny jig behind the boat looking for some crappie, took about 5 minutes or so to land on a ultralight and two pound test.  Both of our phones were dead by now, no pics of fish.

This is an awesome property, both of Hart Lakes are in perfect condition, maybe a foot low, but great water condition - Plenty of timber, lilly's, mats and open water/deep water .  We used all kinds of lures and had no issues.

This is a very easy drive from Frisco, even for a day trip - Fully suggest a trip there - Didn't get a chance to meet the landowner.

Two Questons:  Could we get some better property maps for the roads on the property?  There is no way we would have found Lower Hart in the dark.  It was not bad in the daylight, but members will have a challenge if they are planning to fish an AM and have never been there before.

Second Question - How do you get to the lake right behind the lodge?  It looks like barb fence all around this - I did not see any roads or places to make a path - Didn't want to tear up the property.  It looks like a nice lake and can bank fish around the whole thing - Just didn't see access other then crawling through fences!

Steve - Great addition to the club properties.

ML

Posted By: Mark Levock

Oct 03 2014

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

the only way we got to the lake at the lodge was to walk down to it.. only walked down and fished a little while staying there , but caught some.. i understand you mentioning about marking the lakes a little better.. we arrived really early one morn first time there and in dark its tough.. didnt have trouble finding twins, but did have trouble with Hart i believe it was.. didnt know if we should go through the last gate or continue on down trail.. well we continued on and had to U turn which wasnt easy..  still worth the trip.. just tough for first timers.. i had noted in a past post that when going there and no matter if your just fishing a lake, be sure to use THE LODGE or THE GATE as your coordinants if your gonna get there by GPS.. we logged in the lake we were gonna fish and GPS tried to take us WAY around a back road that dead ended and  never got us there.. had to pull out the trusty paper map to find the gate.. oh those first trips in the dark sometimes in unfamiliar places

Oct 04 2014

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

My understanding was that the small lake/pond below the Lodge was off limits to us…..that we were only supposed to fish the pair (or more) of lakes for which we made our reservation, plus Moonshine that same day if we overnight at the Lodge or Cabin. Am I mistaken?

Oct 04 2014

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Hi Mark,

Q1. The ranch is 3000 acres plus and the lakes are spread all around, so creating effective signage will bee a challenge. Let us re-adress a better map.

Q2. You are welcome to fish the lake by the lodge if you stay in the lodge. You walk down (300 hundred yards) to the lake and bank fish. Electroshock fishing results were poor at this lake. Moreover, the lake is about 75% 5 feet or less. Having said all this, the owner has caught 8 lb plus fish out of this lake. There are a few decent fish in the lake. But, there are better lakes on the ranch. Test reults showed Lower Hart and the larger of the two Tiwn Lakes to be productive.

Oct 04 2014

Mark Levock

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve, 

The maps/markings are not a big issue and the lakes can be found-  I didn't want to give the impression that it is a crap shoot trying to find the lakes.  Just need to take it slow and make a few u turns if you get lost.   Finding your way around a 3000+ acre ranch can be challenging and makes it part of the adventure!  I really like this place and solitude is what you get here.  It will be part of my lake rotation moving forward.  

Oct 06 2014

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Mark,

I'm hitting Lower Hart tomorrow afternoon. Once you finally got to the lake, where did you launch? Did you have any problems launching or trailering?

Thanks,

Tom