Tough afternoon at Cody Ranch

Feb 15 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Probably the water I loathe fishing in the most is when it's both cold and muddy. Yesterday (2-14), South Twin was both. I launched the boat at noon at the south end of the dam, and found the water to be 49° and brown. Ten feet from shore, it dropped to 47° - still brown. Fishing everywhere except the NW shore, I found water temps ranging from 44° to 53°. The warmest water was in the creek where the big pads were last year. Visibility everywhere I went was limited to about 12". Cody ranch has had some rain lately, and I think the runoff is more the source of the colored water than the cattle that were wading in the shallow end. (I have no idea what the ranch's other lakes were like, but I'd guess they're also cold and colored.) I fished mostly plastics, jigs with pork and plastic trailers, a squarebill,  a T-rigged creature bait, a wacky-rigged worm, and a jerkbait. I slow-rolled a single-spin, and even a slow buzz bait. Not even a bump until about 3:15, when I missed a good pickup on an 8" junebug lizard in brush on the edge of the old creek channel in 6' of 47° water (because I was so surprised I didn't set the hook in time). Finally, at 3:42 p.m., I boated my first bass of the day. It was 16" long and weighed 3 pounds even. It hit that same plastic lizard in 4 feet of 49° water. I had cast tight against the east side of a thorny tree, and the fish picked up the lizard on its initial fall. My very next cast, up agains the opposite side of the same tree with a new junebug 8" lizard, was also picked up on its initial drop. At 3:44 p.m, that 20" fish turned out to be a 5-02 on my Boga. I fished that same area hard, but had no additional hits until I stopped fishing around 5:00. The fish should have been fat this time of year, but neither of them hardly had a belly at all. They didn't look anything at all like the big "fatties" I caught there last fall. The 3-pounder should have weighed around 4 to 4.5, and the big one should have been over six. I wonder why.

There are absolutely no pads left on the lake, either the small ones around the south end of the lake or the big ones that Mr. Cody sprayed last year. At the north end, tere are still some dead stems above the surface, but they're not thick. At the south end of the lake, none of the stems reach the surface. Most of the timber I fished was coated with that slimy "snot grass" stuff we all dislike so much. All things considered, I realize that I was "rushing the season" a bit. It's getting cold again tomorrow, so I wanted to get in at least an afternoon of fishing during the last of the nice weather we've been having. Now I'm going to have a hard time waiting for warm water. Dang.

If my iPhone photos ever come in, I'll post some here.

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Feb 15 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Steve, is there any way that the rotted/rotting lily pads could have caused that brown water? It didn't really look like just plain mud, but wasn't clear like tannic acid-stained water, either. I've not seen water color quite like that before - not anywhere.

Feb 15 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Here's a photo of that big head, no gut 5-02.

Feb 15 2015

Seth Knochel

Admin

Number of Posts :

The pads will be dead on all lakes this time of year, but they will come back when the water warms up. The areas that were sprayed will probably not be as dense with pads as they were before.  I can tell you that the dead pads are not the cause of the brown water, and I would be willing to bet that the low visibility is due to a heavy rain causing a lot of runoff.

Sorry to hear you had a slow day. Last year Cody Ranch fished as well as any property in the club, and I am sure it will produce this spring. 

Feb 16 2015

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Tom,

Seth is right on with his assessment. Muddy water is usuallymechanical in nature (wind action with lots of shallow water stirring up the bottom, cattle stirring up the bottom, inordiante amount of rough fish/catfish stirring up the bottom, a large rain event bringing in lots of silt and "dirty" water or a combination of each of these). The other reason for muddy or turbid ponds is when the tiny clay particles that are suspended in the water column have the same electrical charge and they repel each other. Suspended clay particles that don't bond occurs in some soils (more common in West Texas) and require the use of Gymsum or Allum to get a chemcal reaction which then causes the particles to bond and drop to the bottom. This issue is a lot less common.

In conclusion my guess is a large rain event coupled with decaying litly pads have caused the issue and the lakes will clear up soon.

Feb 16 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Thanks, you two. I continue to learn. Had never heard of the polariry issue, but it makes sense. Methinks you are 'right on' with your assessment. BTW, Steve, I am enjoying your interchange on TFF with La Perla.

Feb 16 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Here's a photo of the smaller of the two bass. under the fish's tail, the photo more accurately shows the water color at South Twin on Saturday. I'm adding a few photos of what South Twin looks like without pads.