Tarpley -first time with new kayak

Apr 09 2015

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Fished Tarpley April 8th from 1:30 - 5 PM using my new Old Town Predator XL kayak. Worked very well. Now for the report. 

Water temp. 67 degrees

wind about 5-10

overcast

clarity about 3ft

caught about 8 and culled seven. This is sometimes typical for Tarpley. Most were caught near weed lines on senkos. 

Property is is the fullest I have seen it in some time.

Bill Fetech 

Posted By: William Fetech

Apr 10 2015

Chris Harriman

Fry

Number of Posts :

Bill,

How did the yak work out for you?  On the Senkos , did you throw them weightless and just let them fall off the weed line?  All of the lakes around my east texas area are full and most are murky.  More rain to come…

for a half day fishing ...eight fish..in my book that would have been a blast.

Apr 11 2015

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Chris. The kayak was really great. I really like the integrated motor and foot controlled rudder.  Totally hands free. When I have fished using Jon boats with a similar sized motor, the battery will lose power during a full day. After this trip, the battery was still 75% charged. 

When I use senkos, I have both weighted and non weighted rigged.  I also screw a spinner blade to the back end.

I usually fish them in weed beds or just outside and use a steady retrieve.  When I feel it get caught in weeds, I jerk it free and this causes a reaction strike.  The larger senkos I fish wacky and sometimes add weight to each end.

Bill

Apr 11 2015

Chris Harriman

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great info Bill,  appreciate you passing that along. 

On the minn kota drive system in the predator xl…

Do you launch with the drive out and float out to deeper water and drop the drive in?  was looking at that system and really impressive.  You should be able to handle the wind easily .  Nice Kayak

chris

Apr 11 2015

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Chris. The motor has a kick stand to raise the motor.  I launch with it raised and then drop and latch it down. I like that set-up as I can easily raise the motor to clean the prop or raise the motor to avoid shallow timber. The kayak is very stable and I have even stood-up and fished comfortably. 

Bill