Orange Bass on Green Pop-r's

Apr 19 2015

Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Lake Boatwright is a beautiful lake with lots of fish. Member John Bedore and I fished for about 5 hours and caught 81 bass and one Monster Bluegill.  We harvested 60 bass with 21 returned.  We had our best luck with Pop-r's and swimming soft plastics.  Water temperature started out at 72 degrees and got to 76 before we left.  

Some of the larger fish we caught were very orange in color (tongues, mouth, fins, etc.).  Later when we were cleaning the fish we noted that all of the orange fish we caught were full of the most orange crawfish I have ever seen.  I suppose it was from rooting around in the clay which was almost the same color.  I will definitely try orange jigs etc.  when we return. (I have noticed this same effect at lake Bennett which is not too far away, just not to the same degree).

The area had received almost 5 inches of rain in the two days before we arrived and we were prepared to walk a rather long walk from the road if necessary.  We were relieved to find that the roads had held up nicely and we could drive right up to the lake with no rutting or slipping at all.

Posted By: Bruce Bernard

Apr 19 2015

Chris Harriman

Fry

Number of Posts :

fishing their this coming saturday, What would you recommended ,,,love the top water action…hope that holds up,,,,,crazy weather we have…more rain to come

tight lines

Chris

Apr 19 2015

Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Our go to baits were 

Pop-R in Tennessee shad (smaller version)

Swimming Super Fluke in Houdini color

If I was going back I would definitely try a Rage Craw that had some orange in it.  Lake has a lot of weeds so crankbaits are out. Good luck!

Apr 19 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hey Bruce y’all just of caught em all. Lol. I fished out there today by myself only caught about 20. Couldn’t find anything consistent. Caught em on little of everything. I didn’t try a swimming plastic of any kind. Couldn’t even get a bite on a fluke caught few on a senko few on a yellow magic couple on a spinnerbait. Caught most on a rattletrap out in deeper edges of grass believe it or not. Just wasn’t my day.

Apr 19 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hey Bruce y’all just of caught em all. Lol. I fished out there today by myself only caught about 20. Couldn’t find anything consistent. Caught em on little of everything. I didn’t try a swimming plastic of any kind. Couldn’t even get a bite on a fluke caught few on a senko few on a yellow magic couple on a spinnerbait. Caught most on a rattletrap out in deeper edges of grass believe it or not. Just wasn’t my day.

Apr 20 2015

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bruce,

Great harvest numbers. Great start. Thanks for harvesting.

Jay,

The "bite" will slow as we remove fish, and it will take a couple of years to turn the lake around. IMO, catching 20 fish a day is still a good day.  I guess it is all perspective?  We have been doing selective harvest at many a PWF lake, including Sulphur Bluff Deer Trail, Cleburne Six O Ranch, Ferris Triple J, and Canton Kickapoo. All those lakes would produce a giant 8 to 10 lb fish once or twice a year; but, 90% of the fish caught were 12 inches and smaller. Now, the average size fish has moved from 12 inches to 15 to 17 inches. These fish are now 2 times heavier than they were.

We are now seeing great results at Laneville Hidden Springs. We are now catching a lot more 3 to 5 lb fish at Laneville than we have in years past. Selective harvest on most lakes is an effective tool.

Apr 20 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I agree with you totally Steve. Guess I was expecting them to jump in the boat for me based on other reports lol. Beautiful lake no doubt really like the dock to help launching and getting in and out of boat. I can say that two lakes that have improved big time that I fish on regular basis due to the select harvesting are Ferris triple J and Athens northeast. What remains mystery to me is why more people don’t fish northeast more. Its really good now all fish are solid in there and numbers also very good

Apr 20 2015

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Jay,

I totally forgot about Athens NE. And you are correct. Athens NE was one of the original lakes in the club and thus many of the long time members who use to fish the lake remember the days of lots of little fish. Our newer members often explore more often. Lots of the long time members have their favorites and go to the same 3 or 4 places each time. Lakes evolve….

We are harvesting at Athens NE and have been adding Tilapia for the past 3 years. This is another lake where selective harvest and additional forage have made an impact. 4 years ago most of the fish were right at 14 inches. Today average size is 16 to 17 inches. While that might not seem like much of a difference, that is nearly a one pound difference.

Apr 25 2015

Chris Harriman

Fry

Number of Posts :

well, i got rained out early Saturday am , but went around 11;00 and the road was bad muddy, i spun all the way from gate to the boats.  2wd drive truck, but with m/s tires.  deep mud holes had good bottoms, no problem, just the road was top 2 inches of slush mud, kept truck in low gear and just consistent easy gas.   Lake is beautiful beyond belief !!  the screen end hut on the pier was locked, so i just ate my lunch in the wood swing on the deck and really enjoyed the shade.   threw zenkos, weightless and texas rig and only few bites.  Threw top waters and only one blow up on it.  Started working crawfish color rattle trap, just outside the weed line and their is where i got my hook ups.  harvested 4 and put back two around 17.

Beginning to believe  i suck at bass fishing…or just catch nasty days after storms.   Filet those 4 and relaxing fro a good day on the water, not catching fish, but enjoying the day

Ohh and one huge bluegill that hit the rattle trap…it was wide with shoulders…LOL

Apr 26 2015

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Don’t feel bad Chris. I had to work at it for one’s I caught there. I fished after a big rain also. I’m jinxed by weather also a lot seems like. I caught one of those big bluegill with an attitude as well