Great Frog Bite at Cody Ranch

Jun 11 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I fished South Twin from 6:00 a.m. Until 3:00 or so. caught about 30 bass, but 12 of them were dinks. Ended up with four between 3 and 4 pounds, one good 4-pounder, and a 6 -04 for my "up to" fish. caught 2 on a wacky-rigged green pumpkin/chartreuse tail Senko, one on a magnum Rattletrap (orange craw), 2 on a tandem-bladed buzz bait, and one on a chartreuse/white chatterbait. All others were on Ribbit frogs, Ribbit Top Toads, and Scum Frogs. The key for the frogs today was a steady, fast retrieve through the dollar pads. The six-pounder attacked it In the pads, but most of the bass hit the baits between the pads and the boat.

I was getting pretty tired from too little sleep last night, and my trolling motor was acting up, so I decided to move to North Twin. Big mistake. The wind was blowing at least 25 mph, so I switched batteries. I never got to fish the north lake, for my TM decided to quit on me completely. Decision time: how to get my boat back to the trailer. I couldn't paddle against that wind, so I decided to let the wind blow me to the dam and just "walk" the boat the length of the dam to the trailer. bad decision: it took me 15 minutes to move the boat about 30 feet, which included my rubber boots being sucked off my feet by the mud and my falling down into the muck. Lord, did I ever stink! I realized that what I was doing was asking for another heart attack, so it was time to call for help. Thank goodness Steve Cody had given me his cell phone number, as all I could get from PWF was a busy signal. There was a ranch hand who had been spreading fertilizer on a John Deere, and Mr. Cody called him. I ended up driving my Forester and trailer across the dam, and the ranch hand helped me load it onto my trailer from the super-shallow water. Whew! I'm at a motel in Ada now, and have cleaned up a bit. I wanted to get this posted before I crash, but now it's time for some sleep. Visibility was about 18" at South Twin and about twice that at the north lake. Water temp was 89 at both lakes.

If you haven't fished any of the terrific waters at Cody Ranch yet, you should do yourself a favor and do so soon. They're awesome!

Steve - the smaller fish were healthy, but a bit thin. All of the bass over 3 pounds were short and fat; the 6-04 was only 19.5 inches long - looked like a football!

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Jun 14 2015

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

TOM, as yall have heard me say before,,,  only 2 words   DELCO VOYAGER     

Jun 15 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

LOL! It wasn't the battery, Phillip. There was a short in the foot switch. All repaired now. You can take it to the bank that if my electrical is acting up in any manner in the future, I won't launch until it's fixed!