Mixed Results

Oct 11 2015

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I took my dad to Cody Ranch yesterday.  We started out at sun up, on South Twin Lake.   This was my first time fishing this lake, but looking at it when the sun came up, i was excited.  This lake has a ton of timber in it.  We got on the water, and the fish were hard to find.  We threw topwater,  swimbaits, spinner baits, several different soft plastics.  We fished South Twin for 3 hrs, boated 10 fish.  We headed to North Twin, caught several dinks, but not much of a bite there either.  We had a afternoon reservation for the Hart Lakes.  At 11:45 AM we started making our way towards the upper hart.  I noticed someone else was already on the lake fishing.  I thought it might be another PWF member.  It was two teenage kids.  They told me that they were related to the owner, and was having a family get together at the lodge.  I told them about PWF and our reservation and they wasted no time in leaving.  After 5 hrs of fishing, with minimal results, before they left i asked how they had did, and they said they had been there a hour and boated 30 fish.   With some being up to 4lbs.  I found this to be somewhat frustrating. Due to the fact we were struggling to get bites.  Probably didn't help that my Sooners, lost to the Shorthorns. lol.  Me and my dad decided to go to the lower hart and give the upper hart a rest.  The bite at Lower Hart was better, but still slow.  We caught 9 fish, harvested 6, i did catch the biggest of the day.  5lbs 8 oz on a topwater frog, in some lily pads.  This bass came completely out of the water to hit this thing. It was fun. Getting back on Upper Hart about 3 PM,  The bite on Upper Hart was good, but not many big ones. We caught alot of bass, honestly i lost count, we harvested 14.  Alot of the fish were in the 16-18" range.  With a few 3-4 lbers mixed in here or there.  All the ponds water levels were low. Wind was dead calm, pretty much all day, until about 4PM and had  slight 5-10mph breeze. Yesterday was just one of those days, where it was a grind to get bites until we got on the Upper Hart. The Upper Hart saved the day, the majority of the bites on upper hart were on weightless fluke, grass frog, and buzz bait. Had a good time with my dad.  These lakes house some big fish, and just one cast can change your day.  Looking forward to returning.

Posted By: Danny Renfro

Oct 11 2015

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I'm really sorry that you didn't do better on south Twin, Danny, but glad that Upper Hart "saved the day" for you.Why not come on down and fish some of our east Texas lakes for a change? Try Yates, or Ben Wheeler Twin, or one of the new lakes out of Longbranch, Henderson or Mt Pleasant?

Oct 11 2015

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom I definitely want to get on Mt. Pleasant ASAP.  That’s about a 5hr drive for me. I just have to pick the right weekend to make that haul.  I have family in durant, I would probably drive down the night before and stay with them and then get up and make the rest of the drive the next morn.  I will be looking for someone to get on these east texas lakes with soon.