Quaity fish in Julian

Jan 03 2016

Rodney Schroeder

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

First time back to Julian in couple of years.  After one road closure and 20 minute detour got to lake to find boat full of water (no plug) and no trolling motor or battery.  Luckily I had my battery and motor as a spare and was not a problem after getting boat far enough out of water for it to drain.  Mrs. Julian drove up as I was getting boat ready and was very apologetic that since her husband died she is not able to get things ready as in past.  Super lady and I told her I would pass on to the club.

Fished the afternoon and started out with nothing on a spinner bait.  Changed to a fluke rigged on jig head with small spinner blade and stared catching some quality fish.  All fish related to stumps and while the bite was not fast cannot complain about landing 8 ranging from 16" to 22".  Harvested one under 14".  Had another 8-10 on but lost on way to boat and all appeared to be same size of those I did get in.  For some reason had a hard time on good hook sets today.  All fish had bulging bellies and looked extremely healthy.

Water level was about 6" inches below spillway with visibility of 8-10 inches. 

Posted By: Rodney Schroeder

Jan 04 2016

Seth Knochel

Admin

Number of Posts :

Members - Julian Lake used to offer a trolling motor and battery with the boat, but has not offered a motor and/or battery for a year or so now. Mrs. Julian is unable to keep up with charging the battery and maintaining the trolling motor on her own, so only the boat is available for use. Rodney mentioned this, but I just wanted to clarify.

Rodney - Sorry about the missing plug, but I am glad to hear you caught some fish!

Jan 04 2016

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Bass Pro carries a variety pack of different size plugs.  I always keep a package in my glove box.  In another lifetime I use to find plugs made from plastic bags, sticks and pop-r's.  As I got older I found that being a Boy Scout makes for a more enjoyable experience. Be Prepared.

Jan 04 2016

Rodney Schroeder

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Carved a plug from wood and worked fine.  I think as long as the back of the boat is not running very deep, water does not come up through drain.  Had spares when I had a big bass boat.  My personal poind boat odes not have a drain so out of the habit.  The road closure and detour between lake and Tyler was a much bigger delay than th lack of a plug.

Mar 03 2016

Roger Reynolds

Fry

Number of Posts :

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Mr Julian. What a great man ! was very helpful and loved to see his lake used. i had talked to him a few times during fishing trips. and heard a few stories of his days as a Game Warden. Im sure he is truly missed. would be happy to help Mrs. Julian with anything needing to be done around there….

Roger