Tarpley - completely full (fullest in several years)!!

Jan 18 2016

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Fished this property on January 18 from 7:30 - noon.  This is the first time in several years that the very back coves on each creek entry have water (at least at least 4-5 ft).  The water is about 1/3 the way up the boat ramp. Several flat areas that were out of the water (appeared to be a good hard-pack caliche)  are now submerged in about 2-3 ft of water with deep water near by (I think this will be a good spawning area).  It is to the right of the feeder and almost directly across from the boat ramp.  Now for the fishing report:

Air temp: 32 - 60

Water temp: 48-50

Water color:  good fertile green

Water clarity: 4-5 ft

I caught 5 (culled one of those) all on a medium diving crank (sexy shad color).  They all were caught the side catching the morning sun about 10ft out from the rock bank (probably trying to get warn from the rocks and sun).  I had 1-2 misses on a ribbit frog, but they did not see that big.  Most were in the 2-3 lb range.

Looking forward to spring fishing as the water levels are really looking good (cannot wait for Medina Gallant Elms to reopen Feb 1).

Bill Fetech

Posted By: William Fetech

Jan 18 2016

steve carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

thank you for the report

Jan 21 2016

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Excellent report, Bill!

Jan 21 2016

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bill,

We are fired up about all the new water at Tarpley and Medina. Give the lakes a couple of years and we will have some great fishing again. I think these lakes have not been this full for about 7 years. When lakes get so low, like these did, lots of new vegetation grows on the lake bottom that is barren. When the water rises the brush and small trees are now under water. Not only are these great for new cover, these plants bring fertility to the water. We call this type of thing a "new lake effect". Most lakes, public or private peak in years 8 to 15. After 15 years most begin their decline, unless you have a major draw down like we see at lake Falcon from time to time. The lake goes from full to 30% full then back to full. When it goes back to full, the lake has a resurgence. I think we will see this at some lakes, like the public lakes of Canyon Lake and Medina Lake. Give them 3 or 4 years. Another example will be OH Ivie when it fills again.

Jan 21 2016

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Steve.  I did see several places where there was submerged timber.  Sounds great for the future. I also live about 15 minutes from Medina Lake. 

Bill

Jan 23 2016

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Steve. My father-in-law has a tank about 1 1/2 acres that has a good quantity of 3-4 lb bass (I caught my personal best a 10# about 10 years ago). Several years ago it also went through a severe drought and I was concerned about it coming back. Just like you said a couple of years after it filled it is producing a good quality of bass. I can fish there for a couple of hours and catch 10-15 good sized bass. 

Bill