March Madness and the grind of Bass Fishing

Mar 23 2016

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Last  Saturday was a typical March fishing trip for my group. Basketball and bass fishing!

We thought we were just in time for the spawn but the fish didn't have the same calendar. The only eggs we saw were at Cracker Barrel the day before and we had trouble getting the channel that Texas A&M was on so we automatically expected the worse. Did I mention it was windy yet.

I love this time of year, I was 37 before I got married and most of my commitment issues centered around March. I couldn't keep a girl friend because of College Basketball and the spawn. It was just easier to fly solo between Valentine's and Memorial Day. When you try to explain the grind of bass fishing to anyone, especially a girl…...their interpretation of what we love to do never ends well.

Last Saturday was truly a typical grind. In my opinion, If you don't like the grind you should sell your bass gear and crappie fish.

The wind was blowing out of the north at 15-25 mph, it was 43 degrees when we hit the water before sunrise. By 12:20 even I had had enough. I was looking for a reason to pack up and go home. My partner and I were set to make one last lap around the lake before admitting defeat.  

We had 8 small dinks between us. $500.00 down the drain for another worthless trip. Reminded me of my days on Fork. I was cussing Hank Parker for his southern charm and Dr. Brown and Craig for allowing assess to their wonderful property.

As we begin our last ditch effort, my partner re-read the text that Craig had sent us. "They like chartreuse" was buried in the copy of the text.

What the deuce, I'll dip my lizard's tail with that crap I bought at Bass Pro five years ago. The previous fish we had caught were holding tight to cover in secondary brush piles so that was our 4th quarter game plan. It didn't matter how it turned out, my face was chapped from the wind and another part of my body was chapped because Michigan State had blown up my NCAA bracket.

Off we go…we stuck an 81/4 off a secondary brush pile at one of the many cut channels. Then we both caught fish that weighed 7 1/4 each. One of the 7's came from the dam, the other off the stand of trees straight across from the boat ramp. Then a heavy 6+ and another 4 1/2. Multiple 3's were added to the headcount.

We finished the day with a 34 lb five fish sack. Of all the fancy stuff I have in my tackle box, the damage was done with a Zoom magnum 8" green pumpkin lizard and a little dip and dye.  

Our ego was bruised from the morning but my back didn't hurt as much as we made the long drive back to Dallas.

I remind my wife (now of 20 years) that our sport is expensive but every time she writes a check for my annual tuition, I think of the access that we get to a lakes like Homeplace.

PWF is the best value in Texas bass fishing and Marshall is one of the reasons I keep coming back. 

There are double digit fish at Marshall with your name on them. Go see Dr. Brown and listen to Craig when he tells you something.

He's a Fish Whisperer.

Next year I am going to have him fill out my brackets.

Tight lines and good luck during the spawn!

Posted By: David Curtis

Mar 23 2016

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

David,

One of the best reports I have ever read. For lots of reasons.

Thanks for taking time to write it!

Mar 23 2016

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Excellent!!  I'm showing your report to my wife so that she can come closer to understanding our "sickness".

Mar 24 2016

Greg Almond

Fry

Number of Posts :

That sounds like a bad weather day turned into a great fishing trip!  I couldn't agree with you more about the March Madness and fishing!

When you say you didn't see any eggs then you believe they have all spawned out?  If so, we're they a little deeper?  (I'm headed there tomorrow)

Mar 25 2016

Phillip D. Chapin

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

great report David.. now if we could just talk the Dr into throwing the 1980 TV and the coat hanger rabbit ear antenna away and installing a 50" flat screen with cable in The Trailor we would all be set up sweet..LOLOL  its still a great place with great people.. but the TV??? usually watch games on my lap top there..;)

Mar 28 2016

Jackson Bean

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Just seeing this…..  Great write up and great day!

Nice job guys.  Next time I'm taking Craig with me.  ;)