Hot Times at Indian Hollow

Jul 18 2016

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

After fighting 'cabin fever' with only two fishing trips this year, I blamed temporary insanity, got up at 2:30 a.m, and headed for Indian Hollow Ranch yesterday. Knowing it would be hot, I packed an extra half-dozen frozen bottles of water. Sure glad I did! I had few problems launching from my trailer, but was a little concerned about pulling the loaded trailer out, even with 4WD. I shouldn't have worried, though; my Forester came through for me again.

Conditions were beautiful when I launched at 5:30 a.m. The lake was dead calm, the weather was clear to partly-cloudy and cool, and the water temp just out from the steep "ramp" was 86.5 at trolling motor depth. Water clarity - once it got light enough to see - was at least 8 feet. Nice! The water temperature did climb to 90.3 by the time I left the lake.

When I started, there was a good topwater bite on, and the Whopper Plopper accounted for 4 bass in the 2- to 2.5-pound range; caught a 4-00 and two 3+ bass on the Yellow Magic, as well as a hand-sized Bluegill. The topwater bite continued until around 10:30. After that, wacky-rigged Senkos were the ticket. I did pick up a few 14+" fish on the rattletrap and crankbait; they were suspended in the tops of flooded timber in the two big coves. The two biggest fish of the day were a 5-06 and a 4-00. The big girls simply eluded me all day. All in all, though, I had a good time catching 10 under 14" long (harvested) and 22 over the 14-inch mark.

Successful lures: 

Wacky-rigged 5" Senko, either black/blue flake or watermelon/red flake

Wacky-rigged 12" snake, black/red flake

Bone 1/2 oz Yellow Magic

Shad-colored 6" Whopper Plopper

Rage Tail Craw, T-rigged, either black/blue flake or California Craw

Rattletrap, chrome/blue back and "sexy shad"

Medium-diving crankbait (manufacturer unknown) in a dark sunfish pattern

What didn't work:

Spinnerbait - white, single spin and black with oversized orange blade

Hollow body frog (I did miss a good one on it)

Jig & pork eel

Lake Fork spoon

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Jul 18 2016

Jackson Bean

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hey Tom,

I'm glad you were able to get out and do some fishing.  I know it's been a while for you.  I'm glad the map helped!  I hope to get back out there to complete it sometime soon.  That property is absolutely beautiful.

Aug 01 2016

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom - great report as always.  Did you launch from large location or small boat location.

Oct 11 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

The steep ramp, Chris.