First PWF trip to Tarpley

Aug 06 2016

Michael Mozier

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

New member to PWF. First time out was to Tarpley-Hill Country Ranch. Brilliant!!! Fished 06 Aug 16, from 7:00 to about 11:30. Mostly cloudy morning with temps in the high 80's, and quite humid. Water was clear to about 4 feet. I am primarily a fly fisherman, and haven't been able to get out in a very long time since retiring transitioning out of the military. WOW, I need practice! Pretty much stayed with the fly rod, but did throw a few crank baits, and spinner baits with no action.

Bank fished only, and found that being mid Aug in South Texas, the banks are lined with algae and weed about 6-8' out from the bank. Really need to use the boat to get on the fish. Even with my out-of-practice technique with the fly rod, had 11 bluegill, and 2 fingerling bass that could have been bait for the bluegill. Top water flies were incredibly fun. With the water as clear as it was, you can see the strike coming before the splash of the bite. A few of the bluegill were a decent size, and scrappy. Felt a lot bigger than they actually were.

I really wasn't in the Big Bass mindset on this visit, and didn't really go after them. A few bluegill on a fly rod was just the jump-start I needed to get back into enjoying the peace and quite of the lake. Hill Country Ranch is everything PWF advertised it to be. Private, quiet, and full of wildlife. I know there are double digit Bass out there, just not on this visit, but that's fine. I had a great day!

Posted By: Michael Mozier

Aug 06 2016

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great attitude and mind set. Welcome to the club!!

Aug 07 2016

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Michael. Welcome to the greatest club that I have been a member of. I live in Helotes and fish both Tarpley and Medina Gallant Elms routinely. I am also retired from the military. If you ever want to fish with me let me know. I fish from a kayak so any boat is available. I have a reservation at Medina on Aug 17 if you would like to join me. My email is wfetech@2fastmail.com. 

Bill

Aug 07 2016

Michael Mozier

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thanks Bill. I'll keep your offer in mind.