Hidden Springs 11/12/16

Nov 14 2016

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

My buddy Darryl and I made the trip out to this beautiful property on Saturday 11/12.  We got started about 7:30 and fished until 5:30.  I suppose we had a minor cold front move through on Friday night, because it was much cooler (low 50's) than the day before, and the wind blew (hard at times) out of the east or northeast under clear blue skies.  I knew it would be tough, and it was.  i caught the 2 biggest ones early (4.5 and 2.2) on a yellow magic, but after this it was a dinkfest.  We ended up with 25 total, and 12 harvested (and the rest just barely bigger than 12").  besides the yellow magic (why are those things so good??), we caught fish on buzzbaits and senkos. 

The water was very clear (i could see the bottom in 7' of water), and the lake was full.  There is some kind of tough, stringy grass in the lake that will shut down anything from a buzzbait to a 24v Fortrex.  The water temp ranged from 67 to 70.  The fish we caught were very healthy (except for 1 that was on the skinny side).

This is a beautiful lake, and i know there are big fish in it.  We didn't find any, but maybe another time.

Posted By: James Stewart

Nov 15 2016

steve carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

What is a yellow magic lure? Tried looking it up, but could not find anything.

Thenk you

Nov 15 2016

Jason Grant

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like they're a popper from Japan that AREN"T cheap. $16 each! I'll stick to my Rebel Pop-R for $6 bucks.

Nov 15 2016

steve carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks Jason.

Nov 15 2016

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

i resisted the "lure" of the yellow magic for a long time, but i finally gave in.  i've read all the stories about catching fish with it when no one else is.  that is actually what happened saturday.  my buddy was running the trolling motor, and getting first shot at all the eager fish, but he did not get a bite on his chugger (not sure what kind it was).  but, from the back of the boat, i caught 3 on my yellow magic before the topwater bite stopped.

not sure what makes it so good, but there are plenty of fishermen that swear by them.