Windy Day in Oklahoma

Feb 12 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Decided to try Cody Ranch for my first full day of fishing since the major surgeries in September and October. In spite of the wind and heat (91° on February 11th, for Pete's sake!), I lasted the full day with no problems. When I got to South Twin at sunrise, it was dead calm. I knew it wouldn't last, so I decided to try topwater from the bank before launching at the south end of the dam. No lily pads have broken the surface yet. On my first cast, I had a two-pounder blow up a Ribbit frog about 10 feet from me. On my next cast, another one hit and missed it. I could have gone home then. I had only two hits (one on a 1/2 oz, black/blue jig & 6" pork eel and one on a 10" black/blue Power worm) - both missed. The water was 52.4° at trolling motor depth, with visibility about a foot. The wind came up around 8:30, and quickly turned brutal. I packed it up and drove over to the cabin. Passing North Twin, I noticed that the water color was sort of a muddy green with no pads. I fished Moonshine until almost dark. The water at Moonshine was about 3 degrees warmer and a lot clearer, with visibility about 3-4 feet. I ended up catching 14 Moonshine fish, all under 3 pounds, including 2 culls. All of my fish hit either a jig & Yamamoto craw, a white chatterbait with paddle-tail trailer, or a wacky-rigged Senko - either green pumpkin or black/blue flake. It was about the same all over the lake. Most of my bass came off the dam, but the larger ones hit the chatterbait on humps in mid-lake. Like South Twin, no vegetation has reached the surface yet. The wind finally calmed down around 6:00 p.m, but no topwater bite developed. On both lakes I fished, I had no luck on Rattletraps, crank baits, spinnerbaits, creature baits, I had planned to stay in the cabin, but the heat melted all the ice in my cooler and I was afraid the food had spoiled, so I drove home instead. I did get to enjoy a beautiful sunset on Moonshine. Sorry about the lousy iPhone image.

Posted By: Tom Dillon