OLD OAKS

Feb 23 2017

Marshall Hogue

Fry

Number of Posts :

My wife and i fished the new Old Oaks site on 2/19/17 from around 7 till noon. Drove up and the water looked extremely muddy with the overcast skies. After sun periodically came out thru out the day water color was a very nice green with about 6" visibility. Launched the bass buster down a steep bank and started throwing spinnerbaits and wife threw senko, that's all she will use. Wind was very strong and clouds were moving very fast across sky. Went to back of island and she started hooking fish. I switched to plastic and we both were catching. We finished with 20 culled and probably had twice that many on the line but they were just holding onto the senkos all the way to boat without hooks in mouth. They would pull real hard and then the bait would shoot of water and hook still in plastic. most of these were running out of cover straight at boat so it was hard to get any kind of hooksets on them. As the wind got stronger the bite got better and I never stopped running trolling motor the whole time on water. I caught a few on spinnerbaits later and some on rattletraps but they would throw hooks before getting in boat. Most fish were small and half we never saw because they threw hook before they came up to top. Lots of fish, small and competing for food. Fun for half day and would be great for kids, bass are hungry and bite.

Ended morning having my wife fish rattletrap for first time while I held boat on wind blown bank on opposite side of lake and she hooked a few that ended up throwing bait as they jumped. We lost lots of fish but it is the pull that counts and she has never had that many bites while fishing. She cannot wait to go back. She also caught way more fish than I did, that is a good thing. Cows are also very friendly.

Posted By: Marshall Hogue